Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 10:24 PM

Default Re: Set Mining question

[ QUOTE ]
Ok let me know if i'm thinking wrong here:

So if a TAGish player 3bets me preflop and his range would probably be JJ+ AK/AQ, I have the odds to call that 3bet to set mine; if he has the high pp, I can probably stack him off if I hit my low set to his overcard PP, while I can possibly also stack off someone hitting TPTK with AK/AQ while I hit my set.

Now if I'm being 3bet lighter, where ranges include other pp's, KQ/J10 etc, then my implied odds go down because they wouldn't be willing to stack off unless they hit monsters. In this case, would 4betting help against a light 3better or am I just spewing off money in the long run?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a number of strategies that you can use against light 3-betting. The first thing you should almost always do is tighten up your raising. After that 4-betting is an option, as is calling to see a flop. One other thing you can do is call with the intention of donk betting or raising a c-bet on flops that are likely to have missed his hand.

Lucky