Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 04:16 AM

Default Re: Article on online gambling/poker in The Economist

This is from Hansard, as of 12 Sept this year so 12 days after licensing possible:
Hansard link Internet gambling applications
[ QUOTE ]
how many internet gambling companies are registered in the UK. [155314]

Mr. Sutcliffe: The Department does not collect information on the total number of companies with a connection to internet gambling that may be registered in the UK for various purposes.

However, to date the Gambling Commission has received 146 applications for operating licences that include provision for internet gambling. Of these applications, 77 have been granted, 68 are pending and one has been refused.

[/ QUOTE ]

The tax rate is 15% of gross profit on the company but no tax for players on winnings. Most established companies are likely to stay in EU sites like Malta or the Isle of Mann and so pay less tax. These are allowed to advertise in the UK. Any UK licensed site has to have some servers in the UK as they are subject to inspection to ensure the games are fair this does not prevent offshoring for most of the work, a mirror server is fine.

As for extradition not a problem from the UK to get extradicted the crime has to be a crime in the UK as well as the US.

Unfortunately for US players it is unlikely that US players will be allowed to access UK licensed sites as they have to commit to only dealing with countries where their activities are unambiguously legal.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry for a off topic question, to the op.

is their any content in the print edition not available online?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is all available online now, but didn't used to be. I remember trying link someone to a story about a year ago and not being able to do so.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:34 PM

You can search the database all you want, but some stuff stays premium content a long time. If you want a certain article PM me and Ill PM you back a CnP.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:16 PM

Thanks, I was going to order a subscription a week ago then it seemed that every article was posted on the web for free.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:58 PM

Its the last refuge left for people who actually want news and dispassionate coverage of events. Its moved a bit to the left since i started subscribing, but they are pretty open about it. It helps keep me literate as its the only quality writing I encounter on a regular basis.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:55 PM

That, and their subtle sense of humor is quite enlightening.

[ QUOTE ]
Competition among the players is fierce, and colourful. The snakeskin-clad Mr Ulliott, for instance, reportedly trains by making love for five hours at a stretch—“I like to get a woman and wring her out like a flannel,” he told a newspaper—to prepare for playing late into the night.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
In his blog, Mr (“Devilfish”) Ulliott says: “I was going to play...[a poker contest in Spain], but to be honest with you I really couldn't be bothered this time. Sometimes you just need a break.” With such a demanding training regime, who can blame him?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-15-2007, 09:58 PM

Yes, the satire is priceless. I will read it in my coffeeshop and laugh out loud on a regular basis. Sadly, no one else thinks its funny. or few people.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:17 PM

Economist is a VERY solid magazine.