Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Up date of what I think I learned regarding pot odds and breaking even

thomas you came to a beginners forum and ask for help, then when it is given you complain the explanations

were you just looking for a "nice post"??
Old 09-26-2007, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Up date of what I think I learned regarding pot odds and breaking even

NO. If the pot is 9 and you win, how much do you win? 9, not 11. Lets try a new experimnet where you answer a few questions.

1. Pot is 4 and you need to put in 1. What are your pot odds?

2. Pot is two and opponent bets 2. To call you must put in 2. What are your pot odds?

3. Pot is 7. Opponent bets 2. To call you must put in 2. What are your Pot odds?

4a. With odds of 4.5:1 What does the 4.5 represent?

4b. What does the 1 represent?

5. If you combine (the answers to) 4a and 4b what does this represent?

6. Show the formula for converting odds to percent.(Hint: you can use Phils and don't forget the parantheses)

7. Apply the formula using odds of 3:1.

8. Convert 33% to odds

Good luck.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:40 PM

Thomas -
I'm not aware of your history on this topic, but 18% is right if your pot odds are 9/2. Though the way you word your example, it seems like your odds are 7/2. If it's 2 for you to call, and there is already 7 in the pot (counting the 2 that someone already bet) then you are getting 7:2, not 9:2 on your money. It costs you 2 for a chance to win 7.

If you're getting 7:2, then you need to be no worse than a 7:2 dog to win. That is, out of 9 trials, if you win 2 and lose 7 you break even. So you need to be at least 2/9 = 22% to win.

It's easier to ditch %s and just learn odds. "I'm 3:1 to win, getting 2:1 from the pot - fold."
Old 09-26-2007, 05:03 PM

If you call the bet you need to win is 18% which my formular gave you. According to these assine post you are saying you can win 1 and lose 4.5 and break even. which is 22% if you win 1 pot of 11 which it is if you call you will get 11 if you lose 4.5 of the 2 bets you put in you get 9. 9 does not equal 11 hence my post about "this site" and you are the most [censored] ignorant people I have ever meet in my life. If you do not think that the formular I gave to find the % of times you need to break even if you call the bet is right then take it up with Phil Gordon it's not mine it's his. So get [censored] over and out!
Old 09-26-2007, 05:11 PM

i hope you are a gimmick and not a douche cause that last post was totally uncalled for, especially on a beginners forum
Old 09-26-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
According to these assine post

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey douchebag, I was perfectly polite and tried my best to clearly explain the situation.

[ QUOTE ]
you are saying you can win 1 and lose 4.5 and break even. which is 22% if you win 1 pot of 11 which it is if you call you will get 11 if you lose 4.5 of the 2 bets you put in you get 9. 9 does not equal 11 hence my post about "this site" and you are the most [censored] ignorant people I have ever meet in my life. If you do not think that the formular I gave to find the % of times you need to break even if you call the bet is right then take it up with Phil Gordon it's not mine it's his. So get [censored] over and out!

[/ QUOTE ]

a. this is incomprehensible
b. whatever it is, it's probably wrong
c. you're making it 74x more confusing than it needs to be. If your pot odds are 7:2, you need to be no worse than a 7:2 dog for calling to be correct. Done. If you want to make it harder, then you need to win 2 times and lose 7 to break even. 2/9 = 22.2%. Why is this so confusing?
d. it seems that you know how to compute the breakeven for a given pot odds. But based on your posts there is a very good chance you don't know how to compute pot odds, in which case the rest of the excercise is a waste of time.

What is your question anyway?
Old 09-26-2007, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Up date of what I think I learned regarding pot odds and breaking

[ QUOTE ]
What is your question anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

This bit made me lol.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:59 PM

I believe, and I believe anyone who reads my posts to you here and in the other "odds" thread will agree, that I have displayed in incredible amount of patience and put forth a tremendous amount of effort and detail into explaining pot odds and break even to you.

You're inability to articulate an intelligent response, pose a relevent question or even display an attempt to ascertain why you fail to comprehend this is beyond me. I also find your lack of gratitude rather disappointing. One can only hope that one day you come to realize your ignorance in this matter and fully understand how myself and others have sincerely tried to help you.

I hope for your sake that day comes soon otherwise your time here at 2+2 will indeed be very short lived.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Up date of what I think I learned regarding pot odds and breaking

[ QUOTE ]
If you call the bet you need to win is 18% which my formular gave you. According to these assine post you are saying you can win 1 and lose 4.5 and break even. which is 22% if you win 1 pot of 11 which it is if you call you will get 11 if you lose 4.5 of the 2 bets you put in you get 9. 9 does not equal 11 hence my post about "this site" and you are the most [censored] ignorant people I have ever meet in my life. If you do not think that the formular I gave to find the % of times you need to break even if you call the bet is right then take it up with Phil Gordon it's not mine it's his. So get [censored] over and out!

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is were you are going wrong I think. Yes if you call you will get 11. But 2 of it was already yours so you are only going to be up 9. SoIt only takes 4.5 losses loses the 9 and you're back to where you started, aka breakeven. To be honest im not really sure if this is right, or even if its what you were asking sorry.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:24 PM

Thomas,

Just to be clear, in your example:

[ QUOTE ]
I looked in Phil Gordon's book and I came up with this:
Pot odds = pot/what I'm asked to call. Example pot 7 a bet of 2 so i would get 9/2 or 4.5 to 1 on my money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean:

A) There was a starting pot of 7, then villain bet 2, inflating the pot to 9, so if you call you will risk another 2 in the hope of winning the 9 that is now in the middle

or

B) The pot is 7, and if you put in your extra bet of 2 the total pot will be nine?

In either case, if you have a balance of 100 and you decide to bet, and lose, your balance will go down to 98. That's a loss of 2.

In case A, if you have a balance of 100 and you decide to bet, and you win, your balance goes up to 109. That's a win of 9.

In case B, if you have a balance of 100 and you decide to bet, and you win, your balance goes up to 107. That's a win of 7.

So if you mean (A) yes, you are correct - you are getting 9/2 or 4.5 to 1 on your money. But if you mean (B) [which is how most people who have replied have interpreted your question] - then you are incorrect. You are only getting 7/2 or 3.5 to 1 on your money.

And I sincerely hope that this has not wasted too much space for you.