Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Salt reducing thoughts?

[ QUOTE ]
Someone said switch to fresh deli turkey. I think they have about the same amount of sodium as the packaged kind.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's actually a HUGE HUGE HUGE variation in the amount of sodium between the various deli meats.

Some of the worse old ones have added corn syrup and all kinds of junk. More and more these days are "98% meat" or whatever or "deli fresh" and they're better, but just glancing around the nutrition database I found some that are 630 mg of Sodium per serving (26% of DV).

You can definitely buy plain packaged deli meats that are 0 sodium. Trader Joes sells packaged deli meats that are "uncured" (no nitrates/nitrites). Having sodium is not necessarily a sign of bad quality though, I mean meat needs to be salted to taste good; the Boar's Head meats are all generally pretty high sodium.

Actually the Sodium RDA seems insanely low, I probably get 500% of my Sodium RDA on many days.

BTW this just turned on a light for me and I went and looked at those "white turkey" hot dogs that I have in the fridge; ZOMG I'm never buying those again, full of corn syrup and sodium.