Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 04:11 PM

Default Re: NL25 - AA faces suspicous amount of aggression from decent reg

Yeah he could easily have KK or QQ and even though he is tight I wouldn't completely take AJ out of his range since he was first in in MP.

His tightness seems to be in his preflop range, he is actually pretty aggressive after the flop so I wouldn't let his action deter me.

Sure he should put you on a high pocket pair, but there's no reason to believe he is thinking about more than his own hand.

It's good that you're asking yourself what he puts you on, as you want to develop this skill for when you move up or when you play against better players.

But unless you know this villian is a thinker, you have to play AA like the nuts at 25NL.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
unless you know this villian is a thinker

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the big question.
You say he puts you on a high pair AA/KK. If thats the case then he is only doing this when he has you beat
BUT - there is a difference between having solid TAG stats and being a thinking player.
If he is 12 tabling and he has QQ/KK/AJ he may just auto-shove without much thought - even though if he had more time he would realise that he is most probably behind your range.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:24 PM

I feel really confused now. Whenever a good regular puts me allin in these situations where I have AA on a dry safe board and I call they almost always have me beat, usually with a set.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel really confused now. Whenever a good regular puts me allin in these situations where I have AA on a dry safe board and I call they almost always have me beat, usually with a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be worth checking PT to see if this is really the case or if you just remember the beats and forget the wins.
3-betting to a bigget amount will stop them from calling PP profitably pre-flop.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:58 PM

Make it 3,75 preflop to go you denying him the odds and get committed. As played I agree with you that the chance you are beat against a decent regular is absolutely there he might also have KK or QQ and figure out that he has to call your turnbet for sure but you bet with more hands then you call with so he is better off putting you allin.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raise to like $3.5 or so preflop. Your 3bet is way too small. I would definitely call here.

[/ QUOTE ]qft
Old 09-25-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Insta-Call, JJ QQ KK AA draw...Call, doubt he pushes with a set here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nuff said... i really think he has KK-QQ here.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I am surprised at what I have read but it seems the general consensus is against me so I must listen.

I must also re-raise more pre flop. My bet was foolish. Hopefully typing it out will make me remember.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:12 PM

I think the fact that opp. open raised pre-flop decreases the likelyhood he has one of the lower sets (55/66), because a 6 pfr would mostly limp these from mid. position(?). Therefore I would put him on a range of JJ-KK with the rare draw mixed in. Would call in this spot, certainly after you flatcalled the flop (he might think you're the one drawing with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]). Had he limp/called pre, I would be more worried and prolly fold turn.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:27 PM

Keep in mind, people arent saying that chances are >50% that youre winning, theyre just saying that your equity vs his range is worth a call.

Also, I think its very easy to overestimate the amount of respect other players are giving you. VERY EASY.

I would want a specific note if I was going to fold in this spot. Lacking that I would call. Once I called, assuming I lost I could write some sort of note like "donked big into 3 bettor on flop with top set, shoved turn" or something like that. Then I would know how to handle this situation for the next time.