Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 02:17 AM

Default Re: question regarding sports betting

[ QUOTE ]
My point is/was: Balanced action is a myth, like the sasquatch or the female orgasm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, speak for yourself, ThumbBoy.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:40 PM

thanks for the responses, although a couple posts have me confused as to what it is that causes the line movement: is it the book seeing everyone betting on one side and saying (1) maybe our line isnt accurate so we should change it or (2) we cant afford having $10m on one side of the line and $1m on the other so we better change it so more people will be attracted to the other side and we wont have so much money at risk.

i understand (1).

the problem with (2) is that lets say the book opens with indy -7 at green bay. then they get like $10m on indy -7 and move it to -8 and get another $5m on indy and they eventually get it to -8.5 and then get $10m on green bay +8.5. now the whole point of this was to avoid the risk of losing $10m if indy covered -7, but now if indy wins by 8, the book is losing $20m. this is the big problem i see with moving lines to avoid risk--it opens up a small but significant middle where there is risk for a huge loss. please advise.

ps. a few days ago i was in the sports book at venetian watching usf dominate wv and i learned from some guy talking to his friend that the reason you arent allowed to have a cell phone in the book is because some of the things they show arent broadcast live, so they dont want people from other time zones telling people which side to bet. how do these people have money. vegas is such a great argument both for and against capitalism at the same time.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the problem with (2) is that lets say the book opens with indy -7 at green bay. then they get like $10m on indy -7 and move it to -8 and get another $5m on indy and they eventually get it to -8.5 and then get $10m on green bay +8.5. now the whole point of this was to avoid the risk of losing $10m if indy covered -7, but now if indy wins by 8, the book is losing $20m. this is the big problem i see with moving lines to avoid risk--it opens up a small but significant middle where there is risk for a huge loss. please advise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, a book moving the line on action does expose them to a middle. This is why you'll see vig changes from -110 to -120 or -130 sometimes. They don't want to get off of a key number and expose themselves.

[ QUOTE ]
ps. a few days ago i was in the sports book at venetian watching usf dominate wv and i learned from some guy talking to his friend that the reason you arent allowed to have a cell phone in the book is because some of the things they show arent broadcast live, so they dont want people from other time zones telling people which side to bet. how do these people have money. vegas is such a great argument both for and against capitalism at the same time

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? What book anywhere takes past post action? I believe the no phones policy is to prevent the pros and regulars from line shopping without actually setting foot in multiple books.