Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 12:40 AM

Default Re: What is AC?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is a fairy tale about a world where the inhabitants place their lives in the hands of an all powerful, all knowing and unfailing god and worship at the altar of His church..the market. In His church the infidels are quickly identified before they can harm the parishioners and swiftly banished to a parallel world of coercion and violence in the form of taxation and false icons of common good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I put my life and my fate at the hands of the market at least a dozen times each day. Its worked pretty well so far, I'm optimistic about the future, but nothing is perfect. I'll probably die in a horrible toaster mishap at some point.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you say the "market has worked pretty well so far" then you arent an ACist, at list not of the ilk on this board.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is a fairy tale about a world where the inhabitants place their lives in the hands of an all powerful, all knowing and unfailing god and worship at the altar of His church..the market. In His church the infidels are quickly identified before they can harm the parishioners and swiftly banished to a parallel world of coercion and violence in the form of taxation and false icons of common good.

[/ QUOTE ]

regardless of your belief in AC or not, this is a pretty funny statement.

it could be improved upon and be made into a funny cartoon like the "CHRISTIANITY: yea, makes perfect sense" picture.

Barron
Old 09-25-2007, 07:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it could be improved upon and be made into a funny cartoon like the "CHRISTIANITY: yea, makes perfect sense" picture.

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Atheism

The belief that there was nothing and nothing happened to nothing and then nothing magically exploded for no reason, creating everything and then a bunch of everything magically rearranged itself for no reason what so ever into self-replicating bits which then turned into dinosaurs.

Makes perfect sense.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Atheism

The belief that there was nothing and nothing happened to nothing and then nothing magically exploded for no reason, creating everything and then a bunch of everything magically rearranged itself for no reason what so ever into self-replicating bits which then turned into dinosaurs.

Makes perfect sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get your argument here. I thought theists thought that nothing was, except god, and then it all came through its magical intervention.

Atheists, or many of them, at least, accept that something exists and there is therefore no reason to posit a lack of existence prior to it!
Old 09-25-2007, 07:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I put my life and my fate at the hands of the market at least a dozen times each day. Its worked pretty well so far, I'm optimistic about the future, but nothing is perfect. I'll probably die in a horrible toaster mishap at some point.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you say the "market has worked pretty well so far" then you arent an ACist, at list not of the ilk on this board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is that? Or maybe I agree. While I have no affection for the state, my life is pretty awesome and the best parts of it are because of the market. My life would probably only be very slightly better, and possibly (but unlikely) a lot worse, under AC. That has little to do with why I think its a good idea. Its not me I'm worried about, I have marketable skills and will likely succeed under just about any system.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Atheism

Makes perfect sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you are sort of joking, but you know Barron's post had absolutely nothing to do with Christianity, right? You might be a little over-sensitive.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Atheism

Makes perfect sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get your argument here. I thought theists thought that nothing was, except god, and then it all came through its magical intervention.

Atheists, or many of them, at least, accept that something exists and there is therefore no reason to posit a lack of existence prior to it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Without getting into a religious diatribe, I was simply posting the opposite of the cartoon that DcifrThs was referring to.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Without getting into a religious diatribe, I was simply posting the opposite of the cartoon that DcifrThs was referring to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough... I simply have no idea what DcifrThs or yourself were referring too! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2007, 08:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What Is AC?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here are some glowing evaluations:

"Within [right] Libertarianism, Rothbard represents a minority perspective that actually argues for the total elimination of the state. However Rothbard's claim as an anarchist is quickly voided when it is shown that he only wants an end to the public state. In its place he allows countless private states, with each person supplying their own police force, army, and law, or else purchasing these services from capitalist vendors . . . Rothbard sees nothing at all wrong with the amassing of wealth, therefore those with more capital will inevitably have greater coercive force at their disposal, just as they do now."
Peter Sabatini

"[anarcho-capitalists]claim that all would benefit from a free exchange on the market, it is by no means certain; any unfettered market system would most likely sponsor a reversion to an unequal society with defence associations perpetuating exploitation and privilege."
Peter Marshall

"To my mind a right-wing anarchist [ACist] is just a minarchist who'd abolish the state to his own satisfaction by calling it something else . . . They don't denounce what the state does, they just object to who's doing it."
Bob Black

"any judicial system is going to exist in the context of economic institutions. If there are gross inequalities of power in the economic and social domains, one has to imagine society as strangely compartmentalised in order to believe that those inequalities will fail to reflect themselves in the judicial and legal domain, and that the economically powerful will be unable to manipulate the legal and judicial system to their advantage. To abstract from such influences of context, and then consider the merits of an abstract judicial system. . . is to follow a method that is not likely to take us far. This, by the way, is a criticism that applies. . .to any theory that relies on a rule of law to override the tendencies inherent in a given social and economic system"

"when private wealth is uncontrolled, then a police-judicial complex enjoying a clientele of wealthy corporations whose motto is self-interest is hardly an innocuous social force controllable by the possibility of forming or affiliating with competing 'companies.'"

"There is something more serious than the 'Mafia danger', and this other problem concerns the role of such 'defence' institutions in a given social and economic context.
"[The] context . . . is one of a free-market economy with no restraints upon accumulation of property. Now, we had an American experience, roughly from the end of the Civil War to the 1930's, in what were in effect private courts, private police, indeed private governments. We had the experience of the (private) Pinkerton police which, by its spies, by its agents provocateurs, and by methods that included violence and kidnapping, was one of the most powerful tools of large corporations and an instrument of oppression of working people. We had the experience as well of the police forces established to the same end, within corporations, by numerous companies . . . (The automobile companies drew upon additional covert instruments of a private nature, usually termed vigilante, such as the Black Legion). These were, in effect, private armies, and were sometimes described as such. The territories owned by coal companies, which frequently included entire towns and their environs, the stores the miners were obliged by economic coercion to patronise, the houses they lived in, were commonly policed by the private police of the United States Steel Corporation or whatever company owned the properties. The chief practical function of these police was, of course, to prevent labour organisation and preserve a certain balance of 'bargaining.' . . . These complexes were a law unto themselves, powerful enough to ignore, when they did not purchase, the governments of various jurisdictions of the American federal system. This industrial system was, at the time, often characterised as feudalism."
Wieck

"Anarcho-capitalism, in my opinion, is a doctrinal system which, if ever implemented, would lead to forms of tyranny and oppression that have few counterparts in human history. There isn't the slightest possibility that its (in my view, horrendous) ideas would be implemented, because they would quickly destroy any society that made this colossal error. The idea of "free contract" between the potentate and his starving subject is a sick joke,perhaps worth some moments in an academic seminar exploring the consequences of (in my view, absurd) ideas, but nowhere else."
Chomsky

Don't shoot the messenger.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:56 AM

zatserguava,

Thanks for this post, Surely one of the most credible and interesting post about AC on 2+2.

I hope you have the patience and energy to keep on posting!