Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 12:21 PM

Default Re: What kind of GPA for law school?

[ QUOTE ]
I currently attend a state university. Is that good/helps?

Does it matter for jobs like real estate attorney or something easy?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.

I SAWZ A HOUSE FLIPPING SHOW AND THAT SEEMED EASY, MAYBE I'LL DO THAT.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:31 PM

pretty good thread
Old 09-24-2007, 01:51 PM

I don't think law school is for you.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People in the bottom 3rd can end up fighting for public defender jobs, people at the top can get real jobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't think of a better way to point out everything wrong with the above quote than this: your comment about "public defender jobs" is the dumbest thing anyone has said in this entire thread.

You might want to look up how competitive public defender positions are in certain markets. I went to law school with a number of people who aspired to such a position, but were by no means guaranteed to get one. You might also look into the career prospects people leaving those positions look forward to. Many go on to places like the U.S. Attorney's office, partnership at major firms, the bench, and the teaching/clinical faculty at law schools. As an aside, the best professor I had in law school was a public defender who is today one of the most renowned individuals in American legal education.

I'm sorry to be so rude to you, given that your other comments clearly indicate you don't yet know anything about the legal job market. (For example, no one gets a "general counsel" position out of law school. You might work "in house" or as "captive counsel" for a big company, but you will not be their g.c. Also, "international law" is not a practice area.) But your comment about public defenders is a misconception that many people have that is incredibly off base. Public defenders aren't just "real lawyers;" they are incredibly dedicated, underappreciated, and infinitely more experienced than you or I will ever get the chance to be as litigation associates at a big firm. [/rant]
Old 09-24-2007, 04:15 PM

I was being short enough that this is completely uncalled for. Sorry for not writing a book. I was responding to a PM from BBM and caveatted that I'm only a 1L.

In sort of order:

Do you know what "fighting" means? Try to figure it out from context. In fact, once you get a handle on that concept read any of my posts(hint: I'm kind of being flippant).

General counsel was stated as a goal. That's the career path I want to get on, rather than the common alternative goals for law students like criminal defense, personal injury, family law, politics, etc.

I also have an interest in international law. Sorry about admitting that(you think they handle a lot of transnational stuff in Pensacola? Oh noes you've crushed my dreams, I was planning on getting hired as Secretary-General of the UN). Way to live up to the stereotype of lawyers being nitty douchebags.

Edit: Public defenders do not make a lot of money. Law school can be very expensive. Are either of those wrong? Public defenders play a crucial role in our justice system and I'm sure many of them are excellent people, but they aren't rich people. Most people can't pay $1000 a month in loan service off a $40k job.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:46 PM

Someone just message me on aim that knows what they're talking about and educate me plz
Old 09-24-2007, 05:32 PM

I don't want to argue, and I apologize for my tone. Your sentence compared "public defenders" to "real jobs." Whether you're being short, flippant, or whatever, this is a stupid thing to say. There's nothing "nitty" about that point. That comment is just idiotic, and it was the only one I quoted.

As for debt, not everyone graduates with 150k in debt. There are scholarships and public schools, and some private schools have low-income protection plans whereby they'll pay your loans back if you choose a low income profession. I pay $900 a month, and my understanding is that if I took a job paying under about 70k, that'd be paid for me.

Regardless of what the job pays, the fact remains that public defender positions in some markets are as competitive as any firm job and that the career options resultant from service in such positions are limitless in terms of both prestige and salary.

As for my other statements about your post, those were nitpicky, and I apologize. It's not right to expect you to have it all figured out as a 1L. Good luck with law school and achieving all of your goals.