Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2007, 10:01 PM

Default Re: Odds made easy

At flop you know 5 cards of 52 that leaves 47. If you have 9 outs that is 47 to 9 or little over 5 to 1 if that is of help
Old 09-23-2007, 11:51 PM

its easy to get the 4:1 confused. As small fry said this is 20% you run it five times and you get it right once.

if you are playing on line you need to make these quick decisions. so number of true outs x2 = next card.

as said above 52-5 = 47 9/47 = 19% or 9x2 = 18%

you get the same situations over and over again that the basic math becomes automatic and you adjust down for 'true' outs as you are putting your opponent on ranges etc.

implied odds there is no real math. Its a lot to do with things like players aggression, your position and the read you have on their hand and also how deep they are. if loose monkey has a pile of chips and cannot get away from tptk (top pair top kicker) then your sets have huge implied odds

hope that ramble helps
Old 09-24-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At flop you know 5 cards of 52 that leaves 47. If you have 9 outs that is 47 to 9 or little over 5 to 1 if that is of help

[/ QUOTE ]

Again you are confused. In an event, like hitting a specific card, you can have two outcomes. You miss or you hit. So what you have are bad cards, those that miss, and good cards, those that hit. Odds are these two outcomes compared to each other, typically shown as bad:good

In your example there are 47 cards left in the deck. If 9 are good then 38 are bad. Your odds are 38:9, reduced this gives us 4.2:1. Percentage wise we could compare the good cards to ALL the cards left 9/47 to get 19%.

If you want to use the total events compared to "good" outcomes to compute odds you must subtract 1 from your answer. So the above would give us 47:9, reduced gives us 5.2:1 subtract 1 from 5.2 and you get 4.2:1
Old 09-25-2007, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pot odds - odds the pot is offering you. Pot has 3 bets in it and your opp. bets 1. pot is offering you 4:1 for you to call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pot odds= Pot/what you are asked to call. this case 3 to 1
Break even is you need to win 1 every 3 times you bet or 4 outcomes so 25%
Old 09-25-2007, 11:08 AM

In this way if you are asked to call one bet into the pot and there are three to the pot, if you do not make your draw, then the odds you have on the river to make your hand may justified another call compared to the odds the pot would offer. I believe that is one way of thinking about implied odds when asked to call a bet on the turn.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pot odds - odds the pot is offering you. Pot has 3 bets in it and your opp. bets 1. pot is offering you 4:1 for you to call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pot odds= Pot/what you are asked to call. this case 3 to 1
Break even is you need to win 1 every 3 times you bet or 4 outcomes so 25%

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you need to stop posting. Seriously. You are consistently confused or just plain wrong. (You did get a few things correct in this post) I will correct you one more time.

First I will agree with your definiton of pot odds. But in my example, which you quoted you will notice the pot is 3 and your opponent bet 1 . This now makes the total pot 4. To call you must put in 1 bet. You are getting 4:1 odds, not 3:1.

You're break even is correct for pot odds of 3:1. And converting 3:1 odds to percent = 25%. If we do the math in reverse 3:1 can be shown as 75:25 Please notice that adding the two outcomes equals 100, in which case the actual numbers also represent their respctive percentages. Lets try it with 4:1, which we've discussed before as being 20%. Taking 4:1 up gets us 80:20.

But your incorrect in the way you stated it. "1 every 3 times" is how many total times? 3. Not 4. Four would be 1 every 4 times
Old 09-25-2007, 04:25 PM

What ever you'd like to think the pot is 3 his bet is 1
Old 09-25-2007, 04:46 PM

Just to fill in a couple gaps from Small Fry

EV Calcs are the next step in analysis - you'll see them constantly in 2+2 literature.

As a crude example, take a 55/45 hand (a race). You and your opponents each bet ten units on the hand. You have the 55% hand.

(0.55*20) + (0.45*0) = EV = 11+0

Generally there are more terms with varying results (you might be 55% if called, but not always get called.

Generally these calculations are useful in a theoretical setting only. It is too difficult to accurately peg an opponent's range and calling patterns in real time. I tend to prefer explicit pot odds as my base calculation, with stack depth and my opponent's tendancies towards aggression/calling for implied odds....those generally are instinctual - especially live.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:03 PM

I do appologize with this disclaimer. If I can not post what I think I can not be corrected. Pot odds in the 3 pot and 1 bet I think is 3 to 1 if I call I would have to win the hand 1 time out of every 5 to break even thus 20% (1 win 4, 4 loses 4) I thought and thought over what I've read and the posts here, and I did think I was right at first. I hope I am right now. Bare with some of us beginner poker players who think we know. There still may be hope to teach us. Thank you
Old 09-25-2007, 07:17 PM

With the caveat that your trying to understand this I will soldier on.

Pot =3. Opponent bet 1. What is the total pot size? 3+1, which equals 4. Now to call this bet you need to put in 1. What are your pot odds? 4:1. NOT 3:1, the pot includes the other players bet.

Lets try another example with 3 opponents - players A, B, C and you, acting in that order. Current pot size is 8. Player A bets 2, both B and C call. What are your pot odds?
3 players put in 2 each. Thats a total of 6. The pot already contained 8. 8+6=14. So the total pot size is 14. You must now put in 2 for a call. Your pot odds are 14:2 or 7:1.

You must include in your pot odds the amount of bets added to the pot players have put in before the action gets to you.

My apologies if I came off a little harsh before. If I am still unable to explain this in a manner in which you can understand the fault lies with my explanation. Perhaps, it might be best for you to post up a question about pot odds yourself to which you'll get more responses or possibly try the search function.