Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2006, 02:38 PM

Default Re: $60s - lvl 1 - the limping revolution will not be televised

It's more about mixing up your play than going for the blinds. If you ALWAYS open limp sooted connectors and ALWAYS open raise AK and other good hands, then you become predictable. Throw in some random open-raises with JTs and 98s once in a while.

edit: also, I would just fold this 10/10 times when I'm playing 8+ tables. when I'm playing less tables or when I'm playing higher ($215s etc), you need to have these plays in your arsenal since early game is that much more important.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By raising, however, I think you might be more likely to "stack" someone because a caller is going to have a decent hand that might pay you off handsomely when you do hit your hand. Whereas a blind is going to have to hit something unlikely.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the best argument and I agree.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
By raising, however, I think you might be more likely to "stack" someone because a caller is going to have a decent hand that might pay you off handsomely when you do hit your hand. Whereas a blind is going to have to hit something unlikely.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the best argument and I agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it. Most hands that are going to call your raise are going to raise your limp. Raising doesn't make their cards better
Old 03-02-2006, 02:54 PM

A lot of people in SB/BB might raise a limper with marginal stuff. I wouldn't. But they think they have to establish a reputation and don't give enough weight to the tininess of the blinds.

Also, in either scenario, you get to a pot with raisers. But if you raise first, you take the blinds in a pot where villian is holding trash. Probably preferable.

At least that's the argument, I'm just trying to work through it on either side.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:57 PM

Right, but what he said was that you're more likely to stack someone. I just don't think that's true. I do understand that when they are holding cards that make it unlikely for you to stack them, you get the blinds.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:00 PM

Well if they have AT, call your raise and the flop comes 67T, yu have a better chance to stack them than if you limp and they have T4. Even donks can get away from that a lot of the time.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:00 PM

Plus, you have the added benefit of having impetus in the hand (I think that's what all the cool kids are calling it), probably buying the effective button and having position, etc... In other words, you can now outplay your opponent more effectively post-flop.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well if they have AT, call your raise and the flop comes 67T, yu have a better chance to stack them than if you limp and they have T4. Even donks can get away from that a lot of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

But that's because they have AT and not T4, not because you raised
Old 03-02-2006, 03:29 PM

I pretty much always raise in this spot. I want my hand to be disguised if I hit it and even if I don't it's not horrible playing a raised pot in position.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:03 PM

I'll make an argument for limping:

1) if you limp and noone raises - if the blinds check to you, you can make a Cbet and take overcard boards down a lot of the time w/ a t60 bet. Further, if one of them leads out on a flop thta didnt hit you, you can fold.

2) if you limp and a blind reraises to t60 or t80, you can call and be in postition on a flop, with the opportunity to win a nice pot if you hit the flop and they can't get away from their hand.

What happens if you raise to t60 and the SB reraises to t140? its much more awkward a situation than if you limp and the SB makes it t80-100...