Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Anti-intellectualism inhibits learning

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A large percentage (studies suggest over 90%) of the meaning we derive from communication, we derive from the non-verbal cues that the other person gives.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not a relevant statistic on the topic you're raising. The deeper the subject matter the less important or useful is eye-rolling or shoulder-shrugging, etc.

A discussion of Kant, astronomy or particle physics may be assisted by diagrams, but the "non-verbal" clues of normal conversation are pretty low value. They may add to some entertainment value, but the idea exchange doesn't suffer much with their exclusion.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that knowing the age and gender of the person is important. Also body language is important. Also when we look at their face we get an idea as to the fact about getting the message accross.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do question some things, quite a few actually. My faith is not one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
did not & will not read the Koran or a Hindu text or any of these thinker/physchology books that you like so much. I have all I need.

[/ QUOTE ]
This illustrates beautifully the power of faith as a survival tool for religious ideas in otherwise intelligent individuals. They are willing to question many things, but certainly not their faith. I guess it's hard to blame them, after all if they ended up doubting their faith enough they would be sent to hell for eternity.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:27 PM

^^einbert='s the voice of reason [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A large percentage (studies suggest over 90%) of the meaning we derive from communication, we derive from the non-verbal cues that the other person gives.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not a relevant statistic on the topic you're raising. The deeper the subject matter the less important or useful is eye-rolling or shoulder-shrugging, etc.

A discussion of Kant, astronomy or particle physics may be assisted by diagrams, but the "non-verbal" clues of normal conversation are pretty low value. They may add to some entertainment value, but the idea exchange doesn't suffer much with their exclusion.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that knowing the age and gender of the person is important. Also body language is important. Also when we look at their face we get an idea as to the fact about getting the message accross.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmm... I tend to prefer an argument from anonymity. I want it to stand on it's own and not be influenced by any 'argument from authority, or lack of authority".
I want to read Spinoza and not know it's Spinoza. Or hear the students argument against Dennett and not know who is who.

I agree the face-to-face speed up the 'did you get it' aspect, but it brings a lot of other problems into the exchange than semi-anonymous exchanges don't have.

luckyme
Old 09-21-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
..they are not getting other ideas or opinions...it seems they keep expressing the same thought/ideas repetitively...

[/ QUOTE ]

Good timing. Here's a Brad1970 post from today-

[ QUOTE ]
did not & will not read the Koran or a Hindu text or any of these thinker/physchology books that you like so much. I have all I need.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think the number of people who think they have the TRUTH is the basic problem, or those that question everything they run into?

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you only question the completely trivial, meaningless aspects of your life, and never the central, most singularly important aspect of your life?

Interesting strategy.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF? When did you start posting here again? You just decided to wait until I slowed down and stopped posting very often? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe. I announced, but it was on some religious thread.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
WTF? When did you start posting here again? You just decided to wait until I slowed down and stopped posting very often? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe. I announced, but it was on some religious thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

I must have missed the trumpets and tickertape.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
..they are not getting other ideas or opinions...it seems they keep expressing the same thought/ideas repetitively...

[/ QUOTE ]

Good timing. Here's a Brad1970 post from today-

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think the number of people who think they have the TRUTH is the basic problem, or those that question everything they run into?

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you only question the completely trivial, meaningless aspects of your life, and never the central, most singularly important aspect of your life?

Interesting strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think his strategy is to perfect the art of stating nonsense in a way that sounds intelligent.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:41 PM

Below is a link to a very good book that you may enjoy, written by Richard Hofstadter. This book is multifaceted and the title is somewhat misleading (chosen to induce book sales no doubt) as the theme of the book is very broad and includes an excellent analyses of education in America, with the main thesis an analyses of the American Character from the founding of the Nation to the “present day”. The book won the 1964 Pulitzer Prize for non-fiction and deservedly so. I highly recommend it.

Anti-Intellectualism in American Life

-Zeno