Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 06:55 PM

Default Re: If you\'re not calling a re-shove, does your hand matter?

I personally like to mix it up between pushing and std. raising depending on table dynamics. Should I always be doing the same thing?
Old 09-20-2007, 07:00 PM

But to answer the original poster. I think that it does matter what you raise with for the fact of card elimination. If you have an Ace or Face cards it reduces the number of possible reshove hands that the players in the Blinds will shove with.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:19 PM

I think mix is really required because it helps in different ways :
1) more stable results, since you can for example, min raise really tight guys and fold to their reraises with AA in +ev push situation, while an allin would mean an elimination in this particular tournament, while still being profitable on dinstance of course.
2) more chances to make your opponents make mistakes, you can never know,but he might call raise, check and fold to allin on flop, while he really has the odds to call with anything, he can't do that if you just go allin preflop.
3) in certain cases you might be able to extract more money with strong preflop hands, if your smaller raise looks like your usual play, you might get a call or raise you wouln't otherwise. Can't get too greedy with this because they might be able to get a read on you based on your preflop action,which would hurt a lot.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:31 PM

if reshoves are so common from the blinds you should tighten your opening range and loosen your calling your range.

pushing 14-15 BB may be ok in a vacuum, but not the best play especially if you play a lot with the same opponents.

also, the blinds are gonna reshove lighter when they have 1100-1200 chips so dont raise hands into them that you dont intend to call a push with.

and of course your hands matters becasue the blinds will call sometimes, especially if you open to 2.5x or 2.75x.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think mix is really required because it helps in different ways :
1) more stable results, since you can for example, min raise really tight guys and fold to their reraises with AA in +ev push situation, while an allin would mean an elimination in this particular tournament, while still being profitable on dinstance of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are playing someone this tight, you can minraise ATC.

[ QUOTE ]
2) more chances to make your opponents make mistakes, you can never know,but he might call raise, check and fold to allin on flop, while he really has the odds to call with anything, he can't do that if you just go allin preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you are also giving him odds to draw out on you. If you minraise with A3o and get called by something like Q5s, you will be sick as a dog when you flop it Q74, think it's safe enough and push.

Anyway, the OP says he does not often get called. That's kind of the point. If they called a bit more, he wouldn't need to ask the question.

[ QUOTE ]
3) in certain cases you might be able to extract more money with strong preflop hands, if your smaller raise looks like your usual play, you might get a call or raise you wouln't otherwise. Can't get too greedy with this because they might be able to get a read on you based on your preflop action,which would hurt a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

The way I avoid my opponents' getting a read is to shove both types of hands in this spot.