Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 03:17 AM

Default Re: The Athletics at Fremont? Seriously?

[ QUOTE ]
You know what's great? Gentrifying sports out of touch with the common man in every way possible. Nothing warms my heart more than hearing about plans to relocate every team on the planet to Snobville and jack up ticket prices a little further.

[/ QUOTE ]

ya, because the devoted oakland fan base who sell out every single game deserve better.

spare me
Old 09-20-2007, 04:22 AM

Pop quiz: Which per capita income is higher? Pasadena or Fremont?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highest..._United_States

Then again, I call B.S. on this list. There is no way D.C. is #91.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:48 AM

I'm guessing you haven't been through some of the lower-income areas of Washington DC.
Drive through the southeast side of the city very much lately?

Actually, the TRUE per-capita in Washington DC is probably lower than the figure they give but it's difficult to include the numbers of all the homeless in that city. And in Washington D.C. there are a lot of them.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:03 AM

I called B.S. b/c I thought D.C. was way too high on the list. I'm amazed it was on the list.

I'm well aware of what a shithole most of D.C. is.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You know what's great? Gentrifying sports out of touch with the common man in every way possible. Nothing warms my heart more than hearing about plans to relocate every team on the planet to Snobville and jack up ticket prices a little further.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am guessing you have never been to fremont.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I haven't ever been to Fremont. I've never been to the Bay. The key here is the bit about 'surrounding w/ upscale shops & eateries,' superkey = 'upscale.' This is what I mean by 'Snobville.'
Old 09-20-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand, maybe the owners will increase the allowed payroll. They would be a pretty good team if they were allowed to spend more money.

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

But the Athletics at Fremont. FREMONT. Where the [censored] is Fremont?

[/ QUOTE ]

not that far away

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. You know what I mean.

[/ QUOTE ]
So you'd be Ok with it if they just keep the name as Oakland? Like the NY Giants/Jets playing in East Rutherford, NJ?
Old 09-20-2007, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am guessing you have never been to fremont.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I haven't ever been to Fremont. I've never been to the Bay. The key here is the bit about 'surrounding w/ upscale shops & eateries,' superkey = 'upscale.' This is what I mean by 'Snobville.'

[/ QUOTE ]

As opposed to the dump where they play now? Plus, the weather is better in Fremont most of the time. Imagine not having to wear a sweatshirt to watch a night game in July...

I say move 'em.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the satelite map where they want to build.

There's nothing there now, the upscale shops are all a dream. Without BART (train) service, getting to the game will be a nightmare.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you'd be Ok with it if they just keep the name as Oakland? Like the NY Giants/Jets playing in East Rutherford, NJ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

I mostly don't like "the Athletics at Fremont," but I'd prefer they stay the Oakland Athletics.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:12 PM

shane888888888 - aha. Backwards got what you trying say were to.

Regarding NY Giants/Jets.
Other teams like the Dallas Cowboys in Irving, TX and formerly the Cleveland Cavaliers at the Richfield Coliseum about 25-30 minutes from Cleveland are a couple other examples of teams keeping the name of the major city even though they don't play in that city.

I'm not really in love with A's at Fremont either. I think Oakland A's should be kept even if they are 25 miles away.

Also like some of the ideas they are proposing. But it seems like they are practically begging for people to just sit there and watch the games for free. Maybe they'll have some concession and souvenir sales going on out there too to make up for it.

The semi-upscale mall and development area being built around the ballpark isn't exactly a new idea. I can think of the Roger Dean Stadium project in Jupiter, FL where the Cardinals and Marlins hav spring-training and where they also have 2 minor-league teams. This sounds somewhat similar to what they have there. But the movie-theatre and other business-stuff didn't really seem to take off there.

They were talking of doing all sorts of exciting development stuff like this around the ballpark in Vero Beach. But that never really took off either and now the Dodgers are finished holding spring-training there.

In other words, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Fremont were left with a nice stadium with a lot of empty buildings around it struggling to draw consumers. But I don't really know that market and something that doesn't fly in one place can still succeed under a new approach in a different place.

They seem to have some nice ideas but I can't help but wonder if a lot of their vision isn't overly optimistic.