Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Live 20/40: Isolation Raise that Backfired

[ QUOTE ]
What rivers do you bet if checked to (8 obv) and what rivers if any do you call a donk bet from the field?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any non ace river and most king rivers. I don't call a donk bet if an A, K or Q, hits but i might if something lower hits and a crappy player bets.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have a hard time calling that a "backfire"

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, not a backfire. The two cold-calls I did not like with this flop.

As far as the turn goes. Easy bet. Fine, that is what I did. But, we can really call a turn raise here? What could I beat in that situation?

Sorry if this is an easy hand. I was just unsure with the EP and BB players in this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you should LOVE your hand and this flop - esp because you charged them 2 more. (also, neither player "cold called." It was the BB and the limper, correct? Very different from a 3bet cold call.)

What hands are you beating? um, this is still a very bluffable board. If I have ace-jack here, I'm considering check-raising just to get some nit to fold a chop pot. I might not do it, but some do. 66,77 may be coming to life... as might 22,33. A variety of bluffs, etc. Point is, there is way too much that these players have for you to fold getting 5:1 (10:2). Yes, I fully believe you're losing this hand, but not that often. 30-40% winner here.

If you are checked to on the river, I would bet and then disgustedly throw my hand in the muck as he turns over 99.... Or roll my eyes and collect his chips as he shows me 77.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
because its a multi-way pot your opponents are unlikely to get frisky without a hand that beats yours, feel free to fold to a raise. Your hand will be good more than 1 in 8 times, which shows a positive return on your bet in a multiway pot. The pot is large, you gotta try!

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, TT. His hand is good around 90-95% of the time right now, with the majority of the hands that are beating him being 99 and TT. I think, though, you're just trying to make a point to this poster that he's got to start thinking mathematically.

The highlighted portion is a bit off though. If he had air, and believes a bet wins this 1 in 8 times, he should bet. If he is trying to extract value with the best hand, his hand needs to be best much more often (40% seems about right). There is another factor at work here, of course. He needs to be betting this even if he's best here some 20% because of the possible overcards that these players should be holding. I'm sure you know all this, of course.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:08 PM

The tough part is what to do when you get raised on the turn. I would hate it but probably call down.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:21 AM

bet a non ace river
Old 09-20-2007, 09:57 AM

this hand is super standard and now the standard play is to bet.