Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Pocket Jacks on the River.

Hey smurph,

Nice job dragging a 30+BB pot! I was wondering, though...why not checkraise the flop? With a straight and flush draw it seems the perfect time to do so.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:14 PM

Your pre-flop 3-bet is fine. JJ is a good hand and there are only 3 over cards.

You chose the passive line by checking the flop. With a bet and raise behind you, you are beat and should fold on the flop.

If you want to be more aggressive then lead out on the flop, but with the same action behind, I would fold.

That is the simple answer, but if you want more then keep reading. This maybe overkill but it is what you should be thinking without reads.

3-betting pre-flop from the BB, you are telling your opponents you have a big hand. They will immediately think AA, KK, or a big A. Now an A falls on the flop and you check. (Two players did cold call so it is very likely that one has an A.) You are telling them you are afraid of the A so MP2 bets to try to steal the pot saying he has the A. The CO believes him and folds, but the button doesn’t believe him or doesn’t care and he raises. This should tell you that he has an A, if not better, and it is an easy fold.

By leading out on the flop you keep your opponents in the dark about the true strength of your hand. They put you on an A when you 3-bet pre-flop so it makes sense that you would bet the A on the flop. If they don’t have an A, or have a weak A, they may fold and let you pick up the pot right there. I would still fold to a raise on the flop or turn if unimproved. If they just call your flop and turn bets, then check/call the river.

Either line can be argued but the CR 3-bet on the flop is just wrong. The passive line saves you bets but the aggressive line could give you a win when weak opponents fold or the next time when you do have AK and the 3-bet is correct.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:42 PM

Thanks for the advice. No such thing as overkill with good information. Looking at the hand now, I don't know what I was thinking. Deer in the headlights.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls, Hero calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise please.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:15 PM

I didn't bet or check/raise the flop for a few reasons, mostly because the BB would have reraised and pushed out all the others, he tries to isolate, (this isn't the first run in with him) well not the other brain dead player obviously but it was worth the risk of giving up value here.

I normally would have check raised the flop by the way.

These guys were calling stations and one of them loved to donk the river in large pots for some pathetic reason so I was waiting for the make before going on the joyride.

Ironicallly I was very glad I didn't complete the flush on the river because I couldn't 3 bet the river then.