Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Should I hold credence in these crackpot theories?

[ QUOTE ]
You should never give credence to crackpot theories expressed on the internet (LDO).

This forum floats some great advice and some terrible advice, but for the life of me I don't know how somoene without the background to tell the two apart would know the difference. For general investment advice Dcfir steers people in the right direction (even though we fundamentally disagree on some things) and gull is excellent. Other than that, take it as entertainment.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks wdc. my memory fails me though, what exactly do we disagree on?

Barron
Old 09-19-2007, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You should never give credence to crackpot theories expressed on the internet (LDO).

This forum floats some great advice and some terrible advice, but for the life of me I don't know how somoene without the background to tell the two apart would know the difference. For general investment advice Dcfir steers people in the right direction (even though we fundamentally disagree on some things) and gull is excellent. Other than that, take it as entertainment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Market efficiency, kind of. Basically I feel the market is efficient enough that passive investing is the rational solution for just about everyone.

You would argue the point, but I think it is important that I don't believe you would argue the point for a new investor looking for investment or allocation advice.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is important that I don't believe you would argue the point for a new investor looking for investment or allocation advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

the only person who would argue that would be a jim cramer type hedge fund / ibank puppet whose main purpose is maintaining stable fish levels in the aquarium. with cramer specifically, his fed related statements in the past few weeks have basically confirmed his "role" and my suspicions.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is important that I don't believe you would argue the point for a new investor looking for investment or allocation advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

the only person who would argue that would be a jim cramer type hedge fund / ibank puppet whose main purpose is maintaining stable fish levels in the aquarium. with cramer specifically, his fed related statements in the past few weeks have basically confirmed his "role" and my suspicions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you expand a little more on this point please.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What specifically is his "role" in your opinion, and what are your suspicions?
Old 09-20-2007, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Market efficiency, kind of. Basically I feel the market is efficient enough that passive investing is the rational solution for just about everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree. everybody should be passively invested in some form. why not take advantage of risk premia?

i just think that those who want to put in the time, have the knowledge and love thinking about market...(and not necessarily in just equities) ..and who can wait for great opportunities can earn extra in a separate active trading account apart from their passive allocaiton. the market is efficient enough in normal times, but positioning yourself for the extremes, when markets are least efficient, is a great first step.

[ QUOTE ]
You would argue the point, but I think it is important that I don't believe you would argue the point for a new investor looking for investment or allocation advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

again i definitely think everybody should have a massive portion of their wealth passively invested.

Barron
Old 09-20-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What specifically is his "role" in your opinion, and what are your suspicions?

[/ QUOTE ]

His role is taking phone calls from his "friends" at goldman and advancing their interests on national TV. Obviously he wouldnt be able to do this with specific stocks, but when it comes to monetary policy, its impossible to trace and extremely valuable b.c. you will have millions of his viewers clamoring along for cuts cuts cuts.

Not only are they effectively funding yachts for ibankers through commissions / for hedge fund managers by "providing" alpha, but now these Joe Booyahs will be screaming for the fed to also make some contributions by devaluing the very assets they hold at a time when ibanks / hedge funds were effectively caught shorting liquidity.