Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Week 2 NFL Power Rankings

[ QUOTE ]
I still think SD is close to Indy, and Pitt has looked as good/better than Indy so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no confidence in NO but TN is a good team especially against the the Colts. Buffalo and Cleveland aren't very good. Yes Cleveland looked good this week but I think that comes down more to Cincy's D being really bad.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Detroit is too high. I watched almost all of the Minny-Detroit game yesterday - it was a total crapfest. Neither one of those teams looks any good.

Green Bay is better than 13th.

Philly is better than Minnesota and Detroit, and probably better than Arizona and San Fran although they haven't showed it.

Denver is not a legit contender. Neither is Dallas - yet - not with that pass defense anyway. Baltimore should be the cutoff for that group, and then Denver, Dallas, Washington and Green Bay at the top of the next tier (in whatever order). You can toss Tenn. and Houston into that group if you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am loving Detroit's offense right now, and I think that will keep them in nearly any game. Next week will tell us a lot though.

You're higher on GB than almost everyone else....rest assured that if they keep winning, then they'll move up more. Right now though I can't see a team ahead of them that shouldn't be.

Philly is 0-2, Detroit is 2-0....no way I put Philly above them right now.

I very much think Denver and Dallas are legit contenders too. What is Denver lacking? Sure Dallas' D isn't great, but in the NFC you don't need to be perfect.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:38 AM

Amazing how the perception of NO has (imo) rightly changed in one week.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Buffalo and Cleveland aren't very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

and Pittsburgh destroyed them both, as very good teams do. I'm just saying that if you are only looking at 2 games, the 2 Pittsburgh blowouts vs bad teams look about as good as the 1 Indy blowout/1 close game vs 2 meh teams.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:50 AM

more love to the 49ers please.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Amazing how the perception of NO has (imo) rightly changed in one week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I the only one who hasn't completely given up on them yet? I'm holding on to a shred of hope that they still might be ok.

Maybe it's just that I've never had much faith in Carolina. That I left New Orleans where they were instead of bumping up Carolina says more about my opinion of the Panthers than the Saints.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Philly is 0-2, Detroit is 2-0....no way I put Philly above them right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, results oriented much? Look past the records.

1. Detroit has played bottom-feeding Oakland and a very mediocre Minnesota team. Philadelphia has played Green Bay and Washington, two solid playoff contenders. If you switch their opponents, you probably switch their records as well.

2. If Ryan Longwell makes a 52 yard field goal, Minnesota wins that game. It's a long field goal, sure, but it's in a dome and he's more than capable (he boinked it off the upright; it had plenty of distance). Meanwhile, if Philadelphia could have simply fair caught a punt or two in their first game, they would probably be 1-1 instead of 2-0.

My point is that it's not like Detroit won in blowouts and Philly lost in blowouts. All four games have been very close.

Looking at records means you boil down the game into one binary result. After just two games, a record by itself tells you very little. San Fransisco, Detroit, Pittsburgh and New England are all 2-0, but by actually watching the games, we know that Pittsburgh is a cut above the NFC teams, and New England is a cut above, well, everyone. You know this, I know this, everyone knows this.

Yet you insist that 0-2 Philadelphia cannot possibly be ranked ahead of 2-0 Detroit simply because one team is 2-0 and one team is 0-2. Even if the 0-2 team is better, which they are.

The good news is that they play each other this week, so I can gloat when Philadelphia stomps all over Detroit. Or visa-versa.

Edit: Actually you won't be able to gloat if Detroit wins because I'll probably be out on a murdering rampage. Lock your doors.

[ QUOTE ]
What is Denver lacking?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, I just haven't really been all that impressed with them. Maybe I'm being results oriented because they have beaten two bad opponents on last second field goals, but meanwhile they're outgaining their opponents by a wide margin which is a good sign. Red zone offense sucked this week - that will improve. In general, the public is usually higher on Denver than I am.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is Denver lacking?

[/ QUOTE ]

Their run defense has looked really bad and I'm not too impressed with Jay Cutler either. I'm not sure which teams I'd move ahead of them, though.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:41 AM

Pretty solid, swith KC with NO though. Detroit possibly too high.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:28 PM

Oakland is to low. Ahead of KC for sure, probably ahead of the saints. Don't forget that Denver is one of the toughest places to play in the NFL and the Raiders actually lost when fatakowski's made FG was called back due to a TO (and then he boinked the next one off the upright).