Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 10:02 PM

Default Re: Pseudoscience Today

[ QUOTE ]
The name "Avogadro's Number" is just an honorary name attached to the CALCULATED value of the number of atoms, molecules, etc. in a gram mole of any chemical substance. Of course if we used some other mass unit for the mole such as "pound mole", the "number" would be different than 6.022 x 1023.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-17-2007, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

Quote:
Avagadro's Number is an abstraction and has never been proven

can someone explain this?

Life advice: Never, ever, EVER ask carlo that question.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2007, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Avagadro's Number is an abstraction and has never been proven

[/ QUOTE ]

so you're saying we can't prove the mass of subatomic particles and therefore many criticisms of homeopathic remedies are invalid?
Old 09-17-2007, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so you're saying we can't prove the mass of subatomic particles and therefore many criticisms of homeopathic remedies are invalid?

[/ QUOTE ]

Get it, the same of molecules per cc is the same number for atoms per molecule?? You can can calculate depending upon your assumptions but the last I heard the idea of the atom is a MODEL as is the molecule. I'm saying there's a paradox and its related to atomism. I recently posted a paper on atomism. You might look that up for it explains this issue well.

To justify Homeopathy via the use of constructs which are questionable would be empty proof. Look up the studies of Dr.Kolisk(c?)o which display differences in the growth of plants dependent upon different potencies of homeopathic remedies. I too have difficulty with the honmeopathic methodology of treatment but it has value. When the body receives a remedy or conventional medicine it too successes or potentizes the remedy or medicine. One way of looking at a "matter' for example as arsenic is to see it as a "force field" which to our perceptions is seen visually much like seeing a static picture of an "activity". In this light homeopathic potentiation is working with "forces" and not static "matter".
Old 09-17-2007, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe James Randi has detroyed Homeopathy once and for all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who believes the above(not you, of course) should look up James Randi on Wiki and make their own decision as to his credibility.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:36 PM

I think all homeopathy has to do is prove it works under current medicinal and scientific practice. When scientific papers are made that document their effect, it can be published as properly peer-reviewed papers which are easily tested and can be thorougly trusted.

And when someone makes broad claims without these conditions having been met it should ofcourse be met with extreme skepticism, or else you'd have hacks selling all kinds of wondercures and you could potentially ruin modern day medicine.

It would also allow all of you who strongly believe in some of these practices to make nice clicky links to reputed papers which proves their worth.

It is as they say, a win-win situation.

And before anyone saying anything about 'distrust' in scientific communities - many old remedies have indeed been been reviewed to have little effect, but you can also find tons of examples on old remedies having well-documented positive effects and being used in modern day medicine.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think all homeopathy has to do is prove it works under current medicinal and scientific practice. When scientific papers are made that document their effect, it can be published as properly peer-reviewed papers which are easily tested and can be thorougly trusted.

And when someone makes broad claims without these conditions having been met it should ofcourse be met with extreme skepticism, or else you'd have hacks selling all kinds of wondercures and you could potentially ruin modern day medicine.

It would also allow all of you who strongly believe in some of these practices to make nice clicky links to reputed papers which proves their worth.

It is as they say, a win-win situation.

And before anyone saying anything about 'distrust' in scientific communities - many old remedies have indeed been been reviewed to have little effect, but you can also find tons of examples on old remedies having well-documented positive effects and being used in modern day medicine.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, as in my first and subsequent posts any potentized remedies are individually prescribed and not one for all. The methodology of clinical studies are money generated which lays bare the influx of business into medicine. Again, look up Homeopathy of Wiki and ask yourself why so many people and practitioners see its value.

You really can't expect true potentiation scientists to come to current peer review journals and ask for their OK. If they do they're being foolish. It really gets to the obvious understanding of matter as perceived by the different viewpoints. The conventional medical field is steeped in materialism and accommodation is obviated by different perspectives.

I'm not standing for Homeopathy as to its methodology but the potentiation process is what I am speaking to. One can never get to the healing of man by the haphazard methodology of todays medicine. This lack of understanding is laid bare by the many treatments that have come to light by accident.

"The surgeons know nothing and do everything and the internists know everything and do nothing ".
Old 09-18-2007, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No, as in my first and subsequent posts any potentized remedies are individually prescribed and not one for all. The methodology of clinical studies are money generated which lays bare the influx of business into medicine.

[/ QUOTE ]This is exactly why I refuse to subject my tarot card readings to scientific scrutiny!! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the Church had Galileo executed

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, no.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops. He died under house arrest. So the Church only imprisoned him for life. Thanks, I learned something.

[/ QUOTE ]

In his comfortable estate with all his books and equipment, where he continued his work and was visited by the likes of the Protestant John Milton. Galileo's theory of tides, which had contributed to the controversy, was later proven wrong. Galileo thought that those who thought the tides were influenced by the moon were in the occult.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the Church had Galileo executed

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, no.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops. He died under house arrest. So the Church only imprisoned him for life. Thanks, I learned something.

[/ QUOTE ]

In his comfortable estate with all his books and equipment, where he continued his work and was visited by the likes of the Protestant John Milton. Galileo's theory of tides, which had contributed to the controversy, was later proven wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, oh, well then he practically had it coming.