Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Flopped a set - Way ahead or get out now?

Please don't fold.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:30 PM

Yah I've been the resident cooler nit and I can't fold this either. It's too easy to be up against 2pair on both counts. I also don't like the flop smoothcall on a flop this wet.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:48 PM

FWIW - I would never fold a set on this board and didn't fold here. The reason I didn't pop the flop was 2-fold. First, I didn't want to give villain on my left the option of 3-betting and pushing anyone out (possibly) when I'd flopped a monster. 2 - I knew that someone would raise and give me the option of 3-betting to pull more money in from people who were WAY behind and even drawing dead.

In fact, with the aggressor to my right I thought that a call/3-bet line was pretty standard - no?
Old 09-11-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In fact, with the aggressor to my right I thought that a call/3-bet line was pretty standard - no?

[/ QUOTE ]

HI EVERYONE, I'M EITHER BUILDING A BIG POT WITH MY DRAW OR FLOPPED A MONSTER! GIMME UR MONIES K-THX G-BAI

On a more serious note, don't have serious hand discussions at the table....
Old 09-11-2007, 06:02 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong here guys, as I'm relatively new to fixed limit, but my gut instinct here is to raise the flop. This is a relatively draw-heavy flop that's likely to have hit a couple people and given draws to others. With 6 opponents, I think you simply must raise in this spot to charge people the maximum possible to draw against your hand. If I thought the guy on my right would definitely 3bet if I raised here, I would DEFINITELY raise. I want that guy to 3bet and charge the absolute maximum for everyone behind him who is drawing to beat me. You've flopped a fine hand here, but it's still quite vulnerable with this number of opponenets. I say let the 3bet come and charge these whackjobs for every cent possible.

Also, unless someone is holding 24 or 34 here, there are no other hands that are drawing dead.

But again, I'm new here. Feel free to slap me around if I'm off base.

--TFGoose
Old 09-11-2007, 06:07 PM

I'm cool with the ColdC preflop with the small pairs if all the pots have been going multi way. IMO pairs are one of those hands that you need to play at table like this. Obv getting it cheaper is always betta. I like a flop raise and jam if I can here. Did you know that MP1 was going to pop it? Is that why you just called the flop or?
Old 09-11-2007, 06:21 PM

Preflop is marginal IMHO. There are two scenerios that you hate and only one you like... people could fold leaving you in a shorthanded pot, or someone else could 3-bet behind you giving UTG a chance to cap it. Paying 2 bets to see the flop with 44 is -EV unless you get A LOT of company, and paying 3 or 4 is virtually always a losing proposition. Based on your reads I think the first scenario is less likely, but if the table is laggy and someone might 3-bet you are in a bad spot.

Flop: Raising it up seems better. Charge the max while you're ahead. If someone acts out of character and doesn't get raised you hate yourself. The only way to guarantee that there's action is to help it along, and you're just vulnerable enough here to want to not really mind cutting out UTG if it happens. With the high cards I don't see that scenario as a real threat though. More likely that you'll get to cap it if people are playing aggressively.

Turn: This card sucks, but you're still most likely facing 2-pair in each hand. Call it down unless a 4 straight card comes or the board pairs.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all right if:

-You're almost positive it will be raised behind you
-Your opponents aren't observant enough to realize that your range is now [KTs, T9s, 44]
Old 09-11-2007, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, unless someone is holding 24 or 34 here, there are no other hands that are drawing dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I say drawing dead, I mean drawing very slim. Anyone with only one pair on this board is drawing very slim against a set.

I guess I didn't want to lose any customers by raising, but with this board it makes sense to raise the flop as many other people will come along either way. I don't think anyone at the table was enough of a thinking player to put me on only 44, 9T, or KT with the call/3-bet line. I was also very sure this was going to get raised behind me as we had some very aggressive players at the table.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:18 AM

First. Never cold call with 44. Especially way out of position.

You should raise/cap the flop.

Please don't fold. Probably call, maybe keep raising. Donk bets don't mean much. If he had top straight, most people would check raise. Dont make a habit of folding to donk bets in these kind of games.

Even if he you could see everyones cards, and somebody had a straight. You would still call the turn, with outs to the Full Book.