Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Canaidain Bank account?

[ QUOTE ]
Your best bet as a U.S citizen would be to get a student visa then a bank account. Im an Irish citizen on a work visa in Canada,opened a T.D account the first week i was here,all i had to do was show them my visa.

[/ QUOTE ]

How hard is it to get a student visa? Will I actually have to go to school?
Old 09-11-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you'll have a hard time opening an account in Canada.

I did open an account at Chase in the Virgin Islands without being a resident or even ever going there. I simply called up the bank and they Fed-EXed me an application. I Fed-EXed it back with a photocopy of my passport and that was it. Very simple. Since you goal is just to have a non-US account you might try somewhere with less regulation then Canada. The banks here are honestly useless.

Can a Canadian open an account in the US while not being a resident?

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds great I'll look into this.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you'll have a hard time opening an account in Canada.

I did open an account at Chase in the Virgin Islands without being a resident or even ever going there. I simply called up the bank and they Fed-EXed me an application. I Fed-EXed it back with a photocopy of my passport and that was it. Very simple. Since you goal is just to have a non-US account you might try somewhere with less regulation then Canada. The banks here are honestly useless.

Can a Canadian open an account in the US while not being a resident?

[/ QUOTE ]

I could not find a chase branch in the virgin islands? Please help? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2007, 04:01 PM

Why not just answer the questionaire by saying that you plan to visit your friend in Canada often and would be more comfortable if you had access to a Canadian bank when you do. Also, you may want to attend school in Canada, but you are not sure yet, but if you do, already having a Canadian bank would be one less thing you will have to worry about.

If they still deny your application, then you can follow through on getting a student visa then if you want. You would lose nothing and you might save yourself some time not getting a student visa if you really did not need to.

I contacted this same bank by phone several months ago, and was upfront with why I wanted to open a Canadian bank account (online gaming) and the bank official did not express that that was a problem, but I never went through with the process so I don't know if there would have been a problem down the road or not.

Good luck and please let us know what happens.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:16 PM

I responded to your PM regarding Chase. If you need any more help feel free to PM me again.

I've asked two banks now and both have told me all you need is proof of residence in Canada. So some kind of bill. You do need to go into the bank in person though with your US ID. Getting some bills in you name is easy enough if you are willing to just sign up for some random service for a month or two at your friend's place.