Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 06:50 AM

Default Re: Turn decision with Overcard

fold preflop like 95
Old 09-11-2007, 12:41 PM

Jean, why did you raise pre-flop with A3s? Trying to be more deceptive with your hands? Or are the players behind you really tight. If flop top split pair, you've got a really poor kicker. If you flop trey pair, there are many outs that villian can outdraw you.

However,
I ran your hand and the cards on the board on stove for turn street:
A3s 51%
Randome 49%

So I conclude that it's a coin flip. Given that there is a slight chance that he might fold on the turn, and you're facing a 3.20 BB pot, by putting 1 BB, I guess it's +ve expectation? Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong. Thank you!
Old 09-11-2007, 12:44 PM

Why, I raised? Because SSHE told me to raise suited aces first in from middle position. A3s is a little too weak for MP1?
Old 09-11-2007, 12:46 PM

I don't think it says that. I'd raise AT, A9s.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:54 AM

Nitnitnitnit....

p. 90:
In the first in from MP paragraph:
"Additonally, you should tend to raise some hands that you might ordinarily just limp with. For example , with medium pairs and suited aces"
Old 09-12-2007, 05:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is totally read dependent. Agaisnt passive b/f, agaisnt aggro check/call river is fine. I saw a film called 'the parfume, story of a murderer' this weekend. Hope u are not that jeanbaptiste...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not the way I smell right now. No.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:11 AM

Fold it preflop. As played, I fire the second bullet on the turn and fold to a rise.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why, I raised? Because SSHE told me to raise suited aces first in from middle position. A3s is a little too weak for MP1?

[/ QUOTE ]

Baptiste, I know this is going to sound harsh, but raising preflop "because a book told me to" is not a particularly compelling reason to do it. It is clear that you really didnt have much of a plan postflop with this hand. You arent going to hit many flops with a hand like A3s, so unless you really know what your doing with it after the flop, you shouldnt be playing it aggressively before the flop.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
first in from MP paragraph:
"Additonally, you should tend to raise some hands that you might ordinarily just limp with. For example , with medium pairs and suited aces"

[/ QUOTE ]

and SSHE goes on to say

[ QUOTE ]
You prefer to play against many players or against one or two blind defenders....Against just the blinds you will often win unimproved....If your raise may cause most of your remaining opponents to fold, tend to open-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, how tight were the players behind you at the table ? Did you think that there was a decent chance of your stealing the blinds, or were they more likely to call ?

An unimproved Ace may win at showdown against one opponent, but a lot of players at low limits like to play Ax hands, so it obviously helps the higher your kicker is.

A8 is the cut-off for the same number of Ax hands that your kicker is higher or lower than. So A8s+ is probably a better place to start with open raising from MP1 than A3s+ against loose opponents.

Also as already said in other posts, betting the turn and checking behind on the river gives you some fold equity on the turn, as opposed to checking behind on the turn and calling a river bet.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:28 AM

If your gonna put a big bet in here put it in on the turn. When you check the turn and call the river it really allows your opponent to play perfectly against you OOP. Most hands that likely run a bluff on this river would have called a turn bet with the nature of this board. The only real exception to this is when against someone who you really want to see an ace high showdown with that is capable of bluff check/raising the turn(mostly really bad LAGS). The other option is checking the turn and folding to a bet on the river.

Out of your three turn/river options against what looks like a possible passive player checking the turn and calling a river bet is the worst.