Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Baluga\'d vs likely 2p2 and I hate my hand

Checking this turn is an option.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:22 PM

Ugh. I can understand you wanting to fold. I just hate folding when the range that beats us is so narrow. Wouldnt you expect him to 3bet pre with almost everything that beats you? AA,TT,AK,AQ. Only hands I can really put him on are AT, A3 (prob suited combos only), and the combo of 33. And even then Id often expect a raise on the flop, especially from A3. I can see you getting bluffed often here. BvB and he is not exactly tight passive is he.

Edit: There is only one combo of A3s left, too. Also, I too agree that the turn bet size always leaves a nagging worry about him possibly having pounced on perceived weakness. It looks a bit like a block with a moderate hand or draw.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:26 PM

I really don't get most of the replies here.

The range of hands that this guy is cold calling preflop (and on the flop for that matter) that now have us beat is so narrow that I think folding here against even a reasonably aggressive opponent is actually pretty bad.

I'm interested to know what all of the people saying fold are putting this guy on. I honestly can't imagine folding here against a guy like this ever.

Also, why would we ever check this turn other than to c/r? This is a good turn card for us. He may think he's splitting a lot of the time and talk himself into calling with any A.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The range of hands that this guy is cold calling preflop (and on the flop for that matter) that now have us beat is so narrow that I think folding here against even a reasonably aggressive opponent is actually pretty bad.

I'm interested to know what all of the people saying fold are putting this guy on. I honestly can't imagine folding here against a guy like this ever.

Also, why would we ever check this turn other than to c/r? This is a good turn card for us. He may think he's splitting a lot of the time and talk himself into calling with any A.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT
Old 09-10-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

check this turn for multiple reasons. 1) The guy is aggro so he will probably fire for us and in that case we can c/c.
2) Betting leaves us in a vulnerable situation where as c/c still allows us to get value out of the hand on the river if he checks behind.
3) We don't want to play for stacks in this hand and our hand is not good enough for 3 streets of value.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:55 PM

the just over minraise on the turn is very bluffy. its like he wants to make a move, knows a minraise is bad, but still doesnt want to commit a lot of chips.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this post. Its sort of along the lines of what I was thinking at the time. Theres no really big hand which makes sense here as I would expect sets and two pair kind of hands to protect on the flop.

Anyway I really wanted to fold but as I am prone to do I insta-shoved. As it turned out I was right... He had KQ for the straight draw putting me ahead.

River J obv gg life

But I am interested at how many people said fold, as that was my initial thought, which I feel might be a little exploitable
Old 09-10-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway I really wanted to fold but as I am prone to do I insta-shoved. As it turned out I was right... He had KQ for the straight draw putting me ahead.

River J obv gg life

[/ QUOTE ]

So this 24/18/4 guy called your turn shove with a gutshot?
Old 09-10-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this post. Its sort of along the lines of what I was thinking at the time. Theres no really big hand which makes sense here as I would expect sets and two pair kind of hands to protect on the flop.

River J obv gg life

But I am interested at how many people said fold, as that was my initial thought, which I feel might be a little exploitable

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if you plan to b/f you have to make it ~18 as half pot is way too transparent. But I don't see why you would want to b/f here because he literally never has you beat here.

bet/call > c/r >>> b/f
Old 09-10-2007, 03:22 PM

i would probably c/c and then c/c a medium sized river bet if the fd didn't hit.