Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2007, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Detroit - is it really worse than Kosovo?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hey pal, not only did we beat you in the World Series, we also beat you in this, so f-off.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to post a picture w/ a witty slogan on a t-shirt as a comeback, but someone stole it.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:15 AM

If you wanna live close to Livonia, best suburbs are Novi and Northville. Not sure where you are comming from but I can promise that you'll be dissapointed by the B&M play.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:48 PM

loooooooooooooooooooooooool i go to school in Detroit (WSU, holla) and as long as you don't venture into the hood, you'll be just fine. while there are hot spots i wouldn't want to be caught without a posse packing heat, anywhere you'd be working in the city isn't going to be any more dangerous than any other city.

as far as raising a family goes, the burbs are perfectly safe and the freeways up here make commuting in and out of the city really easy. housing prices are cheap cheap cheap as well since the auto industry is in the crapper.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:07 PM

A couple years ago a magazine I read had an article with Detroit and behind it was "(Murdercapital, USA)". A couple people wrote in angry and said that was racist because of all the gangs, etc. The magazine simply responded they had put it because Detroit (at the time) had the highest murder rate in the US.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:27 PM

As long as you avoid the ghetto, all the surrounding suburbs are fine and probably just as safe as any other comparably sized average city. The winters are the worst part about living there imo.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:31 PM

I spent the last four days in Detroit and was pleasantly surprised with the downtown area (compared to last time I was there around 5 years ago). The neighborhood around Comerica Park/Ford Field and Greektown has lots of new restaurants/bars and a ton of people were out on Friday and Saturday night. There's also a lot of new construction in the area, as old homes are being torn down and new ones being built. Additionally, a lot of the abandoned warehouses are being converted into condos. The Super Bowl, All-Star game and World Series definitely had a big impact on the area.

With that said, I drove around the rest of the city yesterday and was afraid to get out of my car.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:41 PM

If you are working in the northern Detroit suburbs, definitely give a look to Hartland/Highland area.

It would help knowing what you are looking for/price range for housing/etc.

As for the winters, it isn't the cold or the snow so much as the lack of sunshine. That's the great lakes for you.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:55 PM

I lived very close to Detroit (Dearborn) for 15 years. It's a nice area with a lot of things to do, good people once you get to know them. Feel perfectly fine downtown at night. Weather pretty much blows but it's a good city. Would be better if they managed to level all the empty buildings which make city look worse than it is. Lots of things going on all over the place, out of city and inside.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are working in the northern Detroit suburbs, definitely give a look to Hartland/Highland area.

[/ QUOTE ]
Check out the above plus Novi and Northville and you will be fine.

Those people don't live in the suburbs.

Crappy overcast weather a lot.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:44 AM

I live in Brighton, which is about a thirty minute drive from Livonia, when the traffic is moving that is. I can tell you it is a beautiful lakeside community with lots of rolling hills and open green spaces. Excellent schools. Great place to raise your kids. Plus you have all the amenities of straight up suburbia. I'm ten minutes from two Meiers, a Wall-Mart, two Home Depots, all the fast food, etc.,etc.

It's a buyer's market like never before right now in Michigan but, that being said, to get anything decent on the water you'll be looking to spend a minimum of $400,000. There are, of course, other options other than living right on the water. There's some really good deals out there right now if you look. People selling houses for less than they owe just to avoid foreclosure. That kind of thing.

If you prefer more of a city type suburban living, lots of concrete, houses right on top of each other, that sort of thing, there's nothing wrong with Livonia itself.