Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2007, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Any advantage to firing Carr after this start?

[ QUOTE ]
Carr has always done less with more, but this is absolutely ridiculous. He should resign.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-08-2007, 06:18 PM

I think firing or requesting/forcing a resignation so they can get a fresh start would be the best way to go for this team.

I think recruiting is already going to be badly damaged with Carr still there because the recruits are already thinking that he won't be there in the future anyway.
And one has to wonder how hard he's going to push himself to try to win over one recruit or another when he has to know his chances of being there next year are significantly decreased.

When he himself has to know he's likely to be fired it's kind of hard to put in some of those 18 hour days that aren't uncommon for head-coaches trying to do their best with hitting the recruiting trail, reviewing game-films, etc.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:22 PM

Good thoughts Bob, though changing coaches midseason does not bode well either. This is really a catch-22. Fire him and it hurts you -- don't fire him and it hurts you.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:24 PM

i'm loving this so much
Old 09-08-2007, 06:43 PM

There can be a real sense of resignation...other definition of the word...for coaches like him who are likely lame-ducks.

Even if some in the administration believed in him and wanted to stick with him they have to acknowledge that their alumni-base is going to be screaming for a change and that not firing him could impact donations.
When you're that despised by your own fans, which is obviously the case here, I just don't see any way they can consider keeping him.

These guys aren't stupid. They know when the writing is on the wall.
I remember shooting coach's film for Miami, Ohio in 1989 and our head-coach, Tim Rose, pretty much knew that he was on his way out.
Finally in late Oct Miami ended their 20 game winless streak and we were in the editing room putting the finishing touches on the videos and the various dubs and Rose came in screaming, "Dammit...these f-ing fans may still hang me in f-ing effigy before they kick me out of this place. But at least we got a f-ing win!!" Something like that anyway. It was pretty funny at the time.

Anyway, I think the reason you don't see more mid-season firings are due to not wanting to mess up whatever you MIGHT have going with your team and your recruiting.
Even if a team is doing kind of badly the head-coach can still usually think he's still possible to return and can keep pushing.

But here it's a situation where everything is so beyond messed up I think keeping Carr for the rest of the year could do more harm than good.

Will Carr really have the program's best interest at heart when he virtually knows he's not going to be there in 2008 unless they somehow win out for the rest of the yr?
Or will he get kind of lazy and pack it in somewhat with an inevitable and understandable sense of resignation that would happen to practically anyone in his situation?

I think that keeping Carr will also be something of a drain on the players. With a fresh start with ANYBODY new as their head-coach they can perhaps more easily put the nightmare of their first two games behind them and try to salvage something of this season. And any recruits can have a better sense of the team plowing forward somewhat as opposed to be in a total state of disarray with a lame-duck coach.

Their defense is absolutely hideous.
If Michigan can salvage ANYTHING for this season it's pretty obvious that a Big 10 title would not realistically be in that picture.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:51 PM

Good thoughts Bob.

[ QUOTE ]

If Michigan can salvage ANYTHING for this season it's pretty obvious that a Big 10 title would not realistically be in that picture.

[/ QUOTE ]
At this point, I bet they would be happy with a trip to the PapaJohns-dot-com Bowl.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can they fire him mid-game?

[/ QUOTE ]

haha
Old 09-08-2007, 06:56 PM

Possible that the AD or university president have some kind of a private meeting with only the players to get their thoughts too.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:27 PM

It's Michigan. They'll never fire him in mid-year*.

*this may change if we lose, say, 3 more in a row (fingers crossed)
Old 09-08-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good thoughts Bob.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
At this point, I bet they would be happy with a trip to the PapaJohns-dot-com Bowl.

[/ QUOTE ]

BOWL GAME? BOWL GAME?