Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Alfonse D\'Amato just on Fox News....live

Yes, Frist first stated promoting Thompson back in early spring and from what I could gather from Frist's site, volpac he recruited him to begin with (I have been monitoring Frist since he left office).

The question is, will Thompson simply be a puppet for Frist or his own man?

Frist, before the '06 election debacle, had in place an entire campaign team so it can be guessed that a large number are now working for Thompson.

obg
Old 09-06-2007, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The question is, will Thompson simply be a puppet for Frist or his own man?

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is that Thompson (or McCain for that matter) can afford not to toe the FoF line 100%, because what then are they going to do if they don't like it? Vote for Billary or stay home which is the same thing?
Old 09-06-2007, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing is that Thompson (or McCain for that matter) can afford not to toe the FoF line 100%, because what then are they going to do if they don't like it? Vote for Billary or stay home which is the same thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but I think if they're going to endure the pain that comes from defying the FoF agenda on something, online poker is a very unlikely place for them to take their stand. They piss off a dependable source of fundraising and votes, and I doubt any of the GOP candidates believes they'd get something measurable in return. They're not just going to blow off James Dobson for nothing.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:28 PM

fnurt,

Thompson or any other repub candidate is going to have to make a choice. Either make the core religious conservatives 100% happy or just take them for granted in an attempt to reach more of the middle. With things going against the repubs, just energizing the base and getting out its maximal voting potential won't be nearly enough.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fnurt,

Thompson or any other repub candidate is going to have to make a choice. Either make the core religious conservatives 100% happy or just take them for granted in an attempt to reach more of the middle. With things going against the repubs, just energizing the base and getting out its maximal voting potential won't be nearly enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hot damn we actually agree on something!

But then I'm not sure sucess now would be a good thing for the party. The GOP seems to need a few years in the wilderness to wake up.

D$D
Old 09-06-2007, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
fnurt,

[/ QUOTE ]

Hot damn we actually agree on something!

But then I'm not sure sucess now would be a good thing for the party. The GOP seems to need a few years in the wilderness to wake up.

D$D

[/ QUOTE ]

Presidential politics are going to be state by state, again.
What states are in play that matter? Ohio, Missouri, Kentucky, WV, Colorado, and Florida. A republican has to win almost all of those. Florida and Ohio may be 100% must wins. Our goal should be to show that poker could cost a Republican nominee every one of those states. Our other goal should be to tell the Dems poker can throw them every one of those states and several Senators into the bargain. We don't want to be an issue, we want to pitch to them to avoid the issue.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:34 PM

Staying on this theme, the GOP / FoF, I was just reading a Pew Research poll. Trouble with polls, you only get filtered information but it can be interesting.

In this poll, 7 of 10 polled stated that they felt the candidated needed to be very religious.

Rudy and Hillary were ranked the LEAST religious.

Rudy and Hillary lead their respective party in the polls.

Moral, for the GOP (and it seems the Dems as well) to be successful, they need to move away from the FoF religious base, it seems even their own party members in general are rejecting them.

This is the message we, if we choose, need to send to potential candidates.

Be religious, yes, but do not legislate to me what morals I should / should not have.

Read on Yahoo News:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070906/..._religion_poll
Old 09-06-2007, 09:37 PM

obg,

The problem is that Rudy and Hillary are horrible nanny-staters with many of the same positions as the fundie religious crowd. Neither will help us.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:13 PM

I am not suggesting either would help us, I was pointing out that the FoF crowd seems to have lost some pull reading the poll results.

The point I was responding to concerned the need for a candidate (GOP) to court the FoF crowd to win and it seems that may be shifting some.

The 2 LEAST religious are leading while 70% favor a very religious candidate and pointing out the disconnect.

obg
Old 09-06-2007, 10:23 PM

Yeah, but how many od the candidates do you think are actually very religous, or all?

Subtract out Brownback, I come up with zero. And, his religion scares me. Fundamentalist from Kansas who converts to Catholicism while his family doesn't? People just don't care, and most aren't very religious. They want a soundbyte and are satisfied. Kinda like Barry Bonds supporters who say because he wasn't convited he didn/t take steroids(minus the racists). Makes me sick.