Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 01:53 AM

Default Re: Gaelic Football Post Season Training - Need alot of help please.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The goals you described in your post fall in line with those of football players. Size, speed, strength, and the ability to plow through people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, not sure about plowing through people, but everything else yes. I just need to be quick on my feet. I dont need much size, I am pretty big as it is. I really want to keep the muscle structure I have now and cut as much fat as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably just need a ton of GPP.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:08 AM

GPP?

I just read through the 5x5 page. Looks good, but they mention bulking alot in there. I do not want to get any bulkier, if anything I want to lose some bulk. Do I achieve this by simply being on a caloric deficit?
Old 09-06-2007, 03:22 AM

The best Gaelic football player I ever played against was about 5 foot 3, and not particularly fast or built.

What he had (aside from natural instincts from playing since he was like 6) was amazing acceleration and agility (and a great vertical leap)

2x a week - Lift weights (focus on the big compound movements - Squats, Deads, Olympic lifts and variations and some auxilliary work to help your weak spots - free weights wherever possible). When lifting, train for explosiveness - when you decide to move the bar up, throw that bitch up like you're trying to put it in the ceiling (it may actually move slow if it's heavy, but the intent should be to perform the movement at maximum speed.

2 x a week, sprints and sprint assistance drills (as with everything, technique can do a lot)

1x a week assuming you're in shape and not nursing injuries - plyometrics to work on your jump.

Google will produce better resources than me though.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
GPP?

I just read through the 5x5 page. Looks good, but they mention bulking alot in there. I do not want to get any bulkier, if anything I want to lose some bulk. Do I achieve this by simply being on a caloric deficit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The best Gaelic football player I ever played against was about 5 foot 3, and not particularly fast or built.

What he had (aside from natural instincts from playing since he was like 6) was amazing acceleration and agility (and a great vertical leap)

2x a week - Lift weights (focus on the big compound movements - Squats, Deads, Olympic lifts and variations and some auxilliary work to help your weak spots - free weights wherever possible). When lifting, train for explosiveness - when you decide to move the bar up, throw that bitch up like you're trying to put it in the ceiling (it may actually move slow if it's heavy, but the intent should be to perform the movement at maximum speed.

2 x a week, sprints and sprint assistance drills (as with everything, technique can do a lot)

1x a week assuming you're in shape and not nursing injuries - plyometrics to work on your jump.

Google will produce better resources than me though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know exactly what youre talking about. Those speedy [censored] that never run out of energy, zip up and down the field scoring easy points. Have you played/do you play? If so, what team, what division?

As far as your outline of what I should be doing, I like it alot.

If someone could chime in with some sprint drills/plyometrics they know of, that would be great. I am going to do a bit of research myself once I get back.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:05 PM

The two most recommended plyometric books are Jumping into Plyometrics and High-Powered Plyometrics. My local library had both. JIP was an excellent introduction to the theory, but HPP was a bit too dense and advanced. It had a ton of exercises with pictures and descriptions though. You should be able to breeze through JIP in an hour or two, which I highly recommend so you have an idea of what you're doing when you design your program.

Skunkworks posted this cool footwork video a while ago:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=j6y0YYBUGP0
Old 09-06-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If someone could chime in with some sprint drills/plyometrics they know of, that would be great. I am going to do a bit of research myself once I get back.

[/ QUOTE ]

The details of exactly what you do aren't that important, it will be how hard you train, how consistently.

Something fun I used to do which is a good sport-specific drill for Rugby of Gaelic is to practice ball recoveries and kicks in a sprint drill.

There are a lot of variations you can do, one example : (always jog a bit to warm up first)

kick the ball roughly straight up kind of randomly

as soon as you kick it you're in full sprint mode, 100% intensity to recover the ball asap

once you pick it up, maybe run a few steps, make a juke, then relax into a jog for 30 seconds or so, kick the ball again and restart

stuff like that is an intense sprint workout and also keeps your hands and eyes sharp. Another good one if you want to practice your foot accuracy is to either try to run down the field kicking to your self, or to kick at a target, then sprint full speed to recover the ball and jog back to where you started and repeat.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I know exactly what youre talking about. Those speedy [censored] that never run out of energy, zip up and down the field scoring easy points. Have you played/do you play? If so, what team, what division?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I lived in Canada I wanted a change from rugby so I played Aussie Rules and Gaelic for the Calgary Kangaroos / Chieftains. There's not a lot of either sport there so a lot of guys played both depending on which had a game organised that weekend.

We had some real athletes (the midget I mentioned was a formed Irish county player I think, a couple of the Aussie guys had played reserve grade AFL, a few offseason college football players but otherwise it was bush league).
Old 09-06-2007, 06:52 PM

Yeah, theres been talk of getting an aussie rules team going here in ohio. i much prefer gaelic over afl tho
Old 09-06-2007, 09:14 PM

Crossfit.com

Ship to Efourdee on stars