Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 09:16 PM

Default Re: Importing poverty

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.

[/ QUOTE ]

BUT THOSE POOR PEOPLE ARE UGLY! I don't like looking at them, it's depressing. How am I supposed to enjoy my cappucino and bagel at Starbucks every morning if I have to look at a bunch of brown people with dirty clothes? And I can't even ask them to shine my shoes or something because they don't speak English!

I mean yeah, my ancestors came here because of the exact same reasons, and they probably didn't speak English either. But they came here legally, so that's ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a horrible argument, and I see it made all the time. The reason our ancestors came "legally" is because back then there were few, if any, restrictions on immigration. Basically, they just had to show up and they were allowed in. If we opened the borders again, then everyone would "come legally."

[/ QUOTE ]

But the clusterf*ck that would result if we opened our borders today would be nothing like what happened back then.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But the clusterf*ck that would result if we opened our borders today would be nothing like what happened back then.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you're sure of this because...
Old 09-05-2007, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, until there are too many of them.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BUT THOSE POOR PEOPLE ARE UGLY! I don't like looking at them, it's depressing. How am I supposed to enjoy my cappucino and bagel at Starbucks every morning if I have to look at a bunch of brown people with dirty clothes? And I can't even ask them to shine my shoes or something because they don't speak English!

I mean yeah, my ancestors came here because of the exact same reasons, and they probably didn't speak English either. But they came here legally, so that's ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a horrible argument, and I see it made all the time. The reason our ancestors came "legally" is because back then there were few, if any, restrictions on immigration. Basically, they just had to show up and they were allowed in. If we opened the borders again, then everyone would "come legally."

[/ QUOTE ]

Please dont post without doing the least bit of research and not knowing wtf you are talking about. The majority of legal immigration in the US happened from WWI to the 60s, when the borders were more closed than they are now. Immigration quotas by national origin were eliminated in the mid 60s, and we now have the most liberal legal immigration policy in the world.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats wrong with limiting the number and quality of immigrants? It worked fine for the largest periods of migration to the US.

Arent you a proponenty of limiting global population? why doenst that apply equally to local population?
Old 09-05-2007, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats wrong with limiting the number and quality of immigrants? It worked fine for the largest periods of migration to the US.

Arent you a proponenty of limiting global population? why doenst that apply equally to local population?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. My terse response was intended to convey the idea that I think there are already too many locally, yet there are still more on the way...so limiting immigration is an idea whose time has come. It would probably have been fine to have unlimited numbers of new immigrants before the U.S. started becoming overpopulated.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. My terse response was intended to convey the idea that I think there are already too many locally, yet there are still more on the way...so limiting immigration is an idea whose time has come. It was fine having unlimited numbers of new immigrants before the U.S. started becoming overpopulated.

[/ QUOTE ]

apologies, for some reason I read sarcasm when it wasn't intended
Old 09-06-2007, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This was also before you could fit a nuke in a suitcase.... but what the hell, there aren't any people willing to die to kill a few hundred thousand Americans in a split second.

To let anyone who wants to come here just pour in unchecked is insane. Times have changed, and though I don't wake every morning fearful of an attack on my Country, state, or city.... I don't want enemies of our way of life to have an EZ pass into this Country.

And yes I realize terrorists have been here legally (and illegally) but to make it easier for them just seems dumb to me.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why let any in at all?
Old 09-06-2007, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why let any in at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because some of them are assets and some are liabilities.