Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 08:50 AM

Default Re: NL50 - Set of Tens on scary board

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with the PF re-raise. A BTN's raising range is usually very wide, so re-raising with 1010 is a must. When he calls his range tightens considerably though.

Great flop for you, but I think your bet too small. I'd bet 12 there probably.
I'd probably lead out on the turn too with about 2/3 of the pot. The club sucks, but this hand is very hard to get away from. You're still ahead of QQ,AJ,KQ and other more unlikely holdings like KJ,A10 and you got 10 outs if he has the flush. You're not getting away from this at NL50 unless you got an extremly good read on your opponent.

BTW, as played I'd push the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

You reraise preflop and the flop comes A28 rainbow - you're either winning whats already in there, or losing a bit more. KJ7 with a flush draw you'll be folding the best hand a lot of the time oop, etc. If reraising TT pf here is good, reraising 33 or 67s or A4s is better, because you aren't reraising for post flop value, because your hand has very little OOP value vs a good opponent.

Please tell me if my thinking is wrong, could be a major hole in my game.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:54 AM

My problem with this hand was, what hand would he play like that? As I sayed before, this was my first 3 bet at this table

AKs seems likely.
He has position ... and I can't imagine why he would put me on a steal.
The Flopbet is too weak, why he propably called it ...

I called the turn to see what the River is and call a decent sized bet.
River was a Q, and he pushed...

I think I gave away the hand on the Flop and Turn...
I didn't call and he showed 32s. Outplayed I guess ^^
Old 09-05-2007, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with the PF re-raise. A BTN's raising range is usually very wide, so re-raising with 1010 is a must. When he calls his range tightens considerably though.

I'd probably lead out on the turn too with about 2/3 of the pot. The club sucks, but this hand is very hard to get away from. You're still ahead of QQ,AJ,KQ and other more unlikely holdings like KJ,A10 and you got 10 outs if he has the flush. You're not getting away from this at NL50 unless you got an extremly good read on your opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

You reraise preflop and the flop comes A28 rainbow - you're either winning whats already in there, or losing a bit more. KJ7 with a flush draw you'll be folding the best hand a lot of the time oop, etc. If reraising TT pf here is good, reraising 33 or 67s or A4s is better, because you aren't reraising for post flop value, because your hand has very little OOP value vs a good opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

When a player raises from the BTN first into the pot his range is usually very wide. He's apt to be raising any ace, any pair, suited connectors, suited gap connectors and offsuit connectors. When you re-raise him to 7 from the BTN that doesnt mean an automatic call. Not from most opponents. OP said that villian seemed solid. He's not gonna be calling the re-raise without a good hand. You can assume he has a pretty high pocket pairs or a strong ace. Perhaps KQs too. He's gonna be folding weak aces, suited connectors, KJ and all those marginal hands. I reckon he'll be folding way more than 50 % of the time.

If you just call his raise with 1010 you have no idea where you're at when the flop comes since the BTN could have raised with anything. If you re-raise and get a call his range is narrowed considerably and it will be a lot easier to put him on a hand. If you bet into a A28 rainbow board and get a call, you're most likely beat. And have to check-fold the turn to any substantial bet unless you improve. Same thing with KJ7 twotone. Basically any post flop decision will be a lot easier if you re-raise PF with 1010. Its when you just call that it becomes difficult on boards with 1-2 overcards w flushdraw and stuff because your opponent could have anything. Always play your hand from the first decision with information gain in mind

If you only call PF with hands like 1010 I would say thats a leak in your game. You're way ahead of a BTN raisers range here. By raising you'll usually pick up the pot right there, and even if BTN calls, you can estimate much more accuratly what his likely holdings are post flop.

Of course, you have to adapt to different opponents. If the BTN raiser is hyper agressive, raising 30 % of his hands and never folding to a re-raise, then a call is better, but against most opponents a re-raise PF in this situation is the best choice.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I called the turn to see what the River is and call a decent sized bet.
River was a Q, and he pushed...

I think I gave away the hand on the Flop and Turn...
I didn't call and he showed 32s. Outplayed I guess ^^

[/ QUOTE ]

32s? Not of clubs?
Wow, thats pretty sick. Make sure to take a note about it so you'll remember in the future that this guy is apt to call a re-raise with anything if the stacks are deep, and is capable of making big bluffs on scary boards with air.
Yeah, you got outplayed there but you let him take the play away from you. If you had used the line recomended by most of the posters here the outcome would have been different. He probably put you on AA/KK when you checked the turn and used the club and the queen as the perfect scarecards to move you off your hand. Gutsy move.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:41 AM

PF is standard ffs.

Bet more on the flop.

When you decide to check the turn Im hoping it was to induce a bet and not because that card game.

Arrrrrrin baby!

(I lead turn fwiw - if it goes check check and the river is 9/Q/club....)
Old 09-05-2007, 09:43 AM

3d2d

Just started playing NL50.
The Flopbet was terrible, and after that I played like a scared baby ... lack of confidence I guess.

Wanted to call him down but with the Queen on the river the hand was over. If a non club and now Queen would have come, my money would have went allin. Well ... lesson learned
Old 09-05-2007, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When a player raises from the BTN first into the pot his range is usually very wide. He's apt to be raising any ace, any pair, suited connectors, suited gap connectors and offsuit connectors. When you re-raise him to 7 from the BTN that doesnt mean an automatic call. Not from most opponents. OP said that villian seemed solid. He's not gonna be calling the re-raise without a good hand. You can assume he has a pretty high pocket pairs or a strong ace. Perhaps KQs too. He's gonna be folding weak aces, suited connectors, KJ and all those marginal hands. I reckon he'll be folding way more than 50 % of the time.

If you just call his raise with 1010 you have no idea where you're at when the flop comes since the BTN could have raised with anything. If you re-raise and get a call his range is narrowed considerably and it will be a lot easier to put him on a hand. If you bet into a A28 rainbow board and get a call, you're most likely beat. And have to check-fold the turn to any substantial bet unless you improve. Same thing with KJ7 twotone. Basically any post flop decision will be a lot easier if you re-raise PF with 1010. Its when you just call that it becomes difficult on boards with 1-2 overcards w flushdraw and stuff because your opponent could have anything. Always play your hand from the first decision with information gain in mind

If you only call PF with hands like 1010 I would say thats a leak in your game. You're way ahead of a BTN raisers range here. By raising you'll usually pick up the pot right there, and even if BTN calls, you can estimate much more accuratly what his likely holdings are post flop.

Of course, you have to adapt to different opponents. If the BTN raiser is hyper agressive, raising 30 % of his hands and never folding to a re-raise, then a call is better, but against most opponents a re-raise PF in this situation is the best choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is basically if reraising TT pf is profitable, so are the other hands I mentioned (33 might be more profitable if you just call). Your TT becomes 27 if you bet/fold most flops with it. Best case scenario (ignoring sets because then TT might as well be 33) is you flop an overpair. If you make any kind of non bluff inducing bet you have put close to 1/3 of your stack in. Are you comfortable stacking off with TT on a 379 rainbow board? What if its two-tone?

I like the reraise if the opponent plays straightforward postflop, otherwise it just forces you to play awkwardly. Just calling gives your a SPR of around 20, which makes the hand easier to play.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:28 AM

I like preflop 3b. This is a no-brainer for me. Nothing worse than calling and having to fold when villain hits with JQ or some crap like that. In fact, any card J+ on the flop and we often just have to let our hand go to the cb. So as we have the best hand pre almost always = 3b.

Like others, I go a wee bit more on flop.

I think leading turn here is kinda yuk, though I'm not sure if it is technically bad in a Sklansky/theory sense. So I go for the crai here as played, and would have planned to do that anyway.

Just IMO.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:44 AM

Does anyone like a CR here on the flop. I would think that a cbet from a 3 bettor is almost 100%, letting us put in a ton more moneys when we are positive that we are ahead. If he has an over pair, we will probably stack him on the flop, and if he is drawing, we can make it not worth it to him.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone like a CR here on the flop. I would think that a cbet from a 3 bettor is almost 100%, letting us put in a ton more moneys when we are positive that we are ahead. If he has an over pair, we will probably stack him on the flop, and if he is drawing, we can make it not worth it to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Board too scary to risk giving him free card.