Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 11:33 AM

Default Re: My opinion was different than others, but same as the floors....??

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see anything here that looks like a call. It looks like she is stacking her chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

What would calling look like?
Old 09-05-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see anything here that looks like a call. It looks like she is stacking her chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A call would look like making a clear motion to the pot. When someone has just been pushed a pot they have their cards some place and a pile of chips someplace. She is putting them is stacks of 10 so she isn't the best chip stacker in the world. I can't recall a newer player (remember she isn't good at stacking chips) ever taking chips from a sloppy pile and stacking them in stack of 10 for a call. Generally NL players should receive a great deal of leeway in assembling and counting their chips.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:58 AM

Default Re: My opinion was different than others, but same as the floors....???

Etiquette lesson for player 3

KITN player 1 for not allowing 3 to state her intention once asked
Old 09-05-2007, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A call would look like making a clear motion to the pot. When someone has just been pushed a pot they have their cards some place and a pile of chips someplace. She is putting them is stacks of 10 so she isn't the best chip stacker in the world. I can't recall a newer player (remember she isn't good at stacking chips) ever taking chips from a sloppy pile and stacking them in stack of 10 for a call. Generally NL players should receive a great deal of leeway in assembling and counting their chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I often see players who aren't good with chips stacking chips off odd stacks when calling. (I was dealing at tournament once and TJ Cloutier asked me to make a player speed up his placing of call which involved him individually counting each chip into stacks of 2).

I don't disagree with the idea of giving a player some leeway, but if the OP's telling of the story is accurate this is more than a little leeway. 9 inches past the cards is pretty signifiacnt distance into the pot. Especially when the player is still stacking the last pot which often means the cards themselves are pretyy far out into the table (because the dealer doesn't want to deal the cards on top of a pile of chips.)

I don't think I have ever seen a player put chips out that far beyond there chips where I wouldn't believe that there action was putting the chips into the pot.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Especially when the player is still stacking the last pot which often means the cards themselves are pretyy far out into the table (because the dealer doesn't want to deal the cards on top of a pile of chips.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I have also seen them go all the way to the rail. Sometimes the dealer will pitch next to the stack of chips rather in front of. Or they might pitch in front and then the player brings them to the rail because there is a large stack of chips where they normally have their cards. As someone else pointed out it would be better if she spoke up when asked, but I have seen many players involved in what they are doing that they completely miss the world going on around them.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:52 PM

I've only played live at my local poker room, but the tables we use have a betting line that is easily seen. If you move chips over the line they are considered a bet (or call, etc.). Otherwise, they are not. I figured this was pretty standard - do most poker rooms not have betting lines on the tables?
Old 09-05-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've only played live at my local poker room, but the tables we use have a betting line that is easily seen. If you move chips over the line they are considered a bet (or call, etc.). Otherwise, they are not. I figured this was pretty standard - do most poker rooms not have betting lines on the tables?

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting lines tend to replace one set of problems with a new set of problems.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh its more fun than that - some rooms have lines on the table that look like betting lines, but really aren't [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2007, 01:14 PM

Default Re: My opinion was different than others, but same as the floors....???

[ QUOTE ]
At what point is forward motion defined?

[/ QUOTE ]

When, during something clearly ambiguous (oxymoron of the day), another player or the dealer says, "what is your action?"

I see this kind of thing all the time, and I always stop action and clarify what the player is doing. This is routine.

But keep it up, guys... every ridiculous dispute like this is one more nail for the chips & cards coffin.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:02 PM

Dealer, what is she doing?
Dealer, is that a call?
Dealer, WAKE UP and CONTROL YOUR GAME.