Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 11:03 PM

Default Re: Starting Rippetoe Today: A Few Questions Before I Start

Okay, first day of the Rippetoe was pretty good but I'm WEAK!
Here's how it went: Weight is in lbs.

Squat 3x5x95
Bench 3x5x125
Deadlift 3x5x125

Squat weight is obviously way low but I really had to keep it this light to maintain good form. I went up to 115 on one set and on the 5th rep I rounded my back out and lost balance a bit and nearly effed something up, so I dropped down to 95. I really think I'll be able to advance fairly quickly on this one after really working on my form and getting it down.

Bench was nice and I probably could have increased the weight some, but again I was focusing on form and didn't want to ask for a spot.

I just realized as I typed this out that I did too many sets of deadlifts. Next time I won't make the same mistake. Also, I ended up doing deadlifts on the shrug bar b/c the squat station was backed up. Is this okay from time to time?

All in all, I really liked this workout b/c of its simplicity in terms of the exercises and I don't have to spend a ridiculous amount of time in the gym. I threw in 3x15 situps after the workout and ended it with walking a few laps and stretching. Comments and criticism welcome.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:51 AM

Good work snafu...I'm about 3 weeks into Ripptoe. You can see my thread on the subject, although I haven't started my online log yet. I have dropped my squat from doing about 150 down to 85-95 because of form reason. Its completely apparent to me that my quads can handle the higher weights but my hips, glutes and hamstrings can't and my form was completely messed up, resulting in me turning the exercise into a lower back exercise. So I think you're right in keeping the squats low while you're mastering the form. Good ATG squats are not easy, but the benefits to me are obvious.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good work snafu...I'm about 3 weeks into Ripptoe. You can see my thread on the subject, although I haven't started my online log yet. I have dropped my squat from doing about 150 down to 85-95 because of form reason. Its completely apparent to me that my quads can handle the higher weights but my hips, glutes and hamstrings can't and my form was completely messed up, resulting in me turning the exercise into a lower back exercise. So I think you're right in keeping the squats low while you're mastering the form. Good ATG squats are not easy, but the benefits to me are obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]
Man, I couldn't agree with you more. I've done squats in the past, but I've never focused on going this low and maintaining proper form. It makes such a huge difference and I'm already feeling sore today in muscles I didn't know I had!
Old 09-05-2007, 10:51 AM

95 is a good starting point in the squat for most people. You will get better at it and your numbers will grow really fast. Just keep adding weight. BTW Rippetoe does not recommend ATG squats; he says to go as low as you can without rounding your lower back.

The trap bar deadlift is a good exercise, but if you're doing it often, then you're no longer doing Starting Strength. I recommend sticking to the program.

I like this post on workout nutrition: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=272067
Old 09-05-2007, 11:31 AM

I came across this interview with Rippetoe linked to from crossfit where he expresses disdain for trap bar deadlift:

"MR: I think it’s an excellent way to hurt your low back. A 500-lb deadlift at lockout is stable against your thighs while a 400-lb trap bar “deadlift” is an unstable mess at the top. The stupid thing is designed so that you don’t have to learn how to deadlift to pull something off of the floor. It’s more like a leg press with the weight in your hands. And I don’t really see the value in not learning something."

Full interview at
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/crossfit_total.htm

I've also seen Mike Burgener ( http://www.mikesgym.org ) have his Olympic Weightlifters use it in video. So there is a range of opinion.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:36 PM

dethgirnd and shemp,

Thanks for the articles and feedback on the trap bar deadlift. I do not plan on using this in the future unless the wait for the standard bar is really long. That shouldn't be a problem though b/c I'm going to start going to the gym on my lunch break instead of after work.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:39 PM

Snafu,

I've never used a trap bar since I've never been in a gym that had one. I would use it for variety. Not as a my main lift. Maybe in rotation like 40% of the time with rack pulls, SLDL, snatch grip, etc... So essentially v rarely.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:05 PM

Never used a trap bar, but they are supposed to be excellent for shrugs. Is that just stating the obvious?