Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2007, 11:37 PM

Default Re: Question for an Atheist\'s Lifestyle?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How do the atheists on this board and whomever else feel on this issue???

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazement over how many theists on here claim to be sociopaths that are kept in line by fear of a bigger and stronger sociopath.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying that I would do those things if I was a atheist.... I am also not saying that I won't do those things since I am a theist.... I wouldn't do those regardless eitherway because of my concience and morality from within.... Also, with Christianity, as you all know, it states only through Christ will you receive Salvation, not through good works....
Old 09-03-2007, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank god you are a theist which prevents you from doing all those things

[/ QUOTE ]

He admitted he wouldn't do those things even if he wasn't a theist.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He said that about rape etcetra, however he bagan his post with:

"Now, I am not an Atheist, but if I were, I would more than likely lead a completely hedonistic lifestyle as I would have no judgement to be worried about facing... I could do whatever I wanted without worrying about any consequences except for legal ramifications, societies outlook, and possibly family consequences...."

Which some find concerning.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Now, I am not an Atheist, but if I were, I would more than likely lead a completely hedonistic lifestyle as I would have no judgement to be worried about facing... I could do whatever I wanted without worrying about any consequences except for legal ramifications, societies outlook, and possibly family consequences....

[/ QUOTE ]

i would argue that the reason you don't do these things now isn't because you're a theist, but because of legal, societal, and family consequences, and your sense of right and wrong.

I was raised catholic, and became an athiest prob about 18. its not like all of a sudden i was like "sweet, no more god to keep me in check, i'm gonna go push some retards in the mud and bang their moms."

my sense of morals is both innate and culturally created, and based heavily on a logically created sense of fairness.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He said that about rape etcetra, however he bagan his post with:

"Now, I am not an Atheist, but those that are, could more than likely lead a completely hedonistic lifestyle as they would have no judgement to be worried about facing... They could do whatever they wanted without worrying about any consequences except for legal ramifications, societies outlook, and possibly family consequences...."

Which some find concerning.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how I would of worded it if I had a chance to edit it now..... Thank you for pointing out the error in my post....
Old 09-04-2007, 02:09 AM

Why is separating ethics from God such a struggle for believers?
Old 09-04-2007, 04:20 AM

It's conditioning. Your dog will still do tricks for you when you stop giving him treats. I was raised to be kind, and that's why I'm kind. It's really pretty simple. As others mentioned, part of it is genetic. Humans have a strong capacity for empathy, and sympathy for our fellow humans. It's religion that divides us and allows otherwise moral and kind muslims to justify terrible acts against "nonbelievers."
Without dehumanizing labels like "infidel" "nig**er", "raghead", etc., we would have more compunction about murdering eachother.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where does this morality come from.... Is it innate, or culturally created????

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think morality comes from a single point, but the convergence of wide variety of traits, behaviors and learning experiences:

- Theory of mind. Most people have the capacity to realize that other people are fundamentally like they are, and share thoughts, emotions, etc. So when we see pain in other people, we associate it with ourself to some degree.

- Parental/authority conditioning. We get smacked for doing naughty stuff, and instinctively associate that stuff with an outcome of pain. Hence, we don't go there and recognize it as bad. This, combined with more subtle social conditioning, probably accounts for most of human morality.

- An understanding of social utility. People recognize that they and others are better off if they avoid violence and force. This also includes risk aversion.

- Innate reciprocation mechanisms. Some people have a desire to see others become happy and avoid stress. I think it's an instinctive thing, probably left over from encoded parent-child bonding incentives during evolution. Things like seeing people smile and laugh trigger happy chemicals, and are practical feedbacks and incentives toward this behavior.

- A desire to live in a certain world, or a belief in secular ethics comprised of higher values like freedom. Subordinating your actions to these beliefs is the only true morality in my opinion.

- A lifetime of accumulated stories about "good" and "bad" actions, all the way from children's tales to cartoons to movies to the bible. These bias our analysis of outcomes, and create a ghost of "justice" that hangs over the future and sits in our mind, which actually has no basis in reality. I think much of conscience that people experience is due to this effect.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Amazement over how many theists on here claim to be sociopaths that are kept in line by fear of a bigger and stronger sociopath.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree - it seems such an obvious confession, yet seems to be regarded as a slam dunk against atheism. Kind of scary really. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think it means they're sociopaths, it's more fear of the unknown and fear of their own weakness. Someone who's fobbed his fears and doubts and weaknesses off to God for X amount of years suddenly has no way of dealing with them when he imagines that part of the world gone.

Most atheists have done the right thing for many years and know they'll continue to do the right thing no matter what happens. They've also developed healthy coping mechanisms not based on an invisible man in the sky who loves them.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:18 AM

As I currently understand. Your basic moral feelings are shared across all cultures, classes and so on, yet the exceptions that are granted for moral "laws" vary widely. It appears that the basic moral grammar is as much a part of our nature as language is.