Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Re: KK, Bad flop, how should i play it

Check on the flop is a possibility if you read that he will fire one barell but not two of them. If you feel he is aggressive enough that he will bluff two times, then he might push you off the hand when you play a hand passively on all streets. In this case, betting is better because people will rarely try a float on an ace high board in reraised pot. That way you won't get bluffed out.

Once he called you on the flop, you have to fold river. He is not bluffing here.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh. Then yes, I think thats a better plan than this. At this level do people bluff raise thin value bets?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes
Old 09-05-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you want to make a bet that narrows his range down to mostly hands that beat you when you can expand his range greatly (and make more money) by inducing a bluff? Villain could also do something like minraise your cbet. Then what are you doing? Check-calling keeps villain's range as wide as possible and makes you the most money. If villain has KQ/QJ/KJ/SCs why do you want him to fold? He's drawing to runner-runner with just about all of those hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
Seems difficult and not very likely for some one to bluff minraise KQ on an Ace high flop, the reason i think it is better to bet here is to 1. represent an ace and hopeuflly take it down, and 2. to not get moved off a hand by worse hands that will most likely bluff if i check.
also, i know the river is a god awful call, i was just wondering about my flop play
Old 09-05-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why would you want to make a bet that narrows his range down to mostly hands that beat you when you can expand his range greatly (and make more money) by inducing a bluff? Villain could also do something like minraise your cbet. Then what are you doing? Check-calling keeps villain's range as wide as possible and makes you the most money. If villain has KQ/QJ/KJ/SCs why do you want him to fold? He's drawing to runner-runner with just about all of those hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
Seems difficult and not very likely for some one to bluff minraise KQ on an Ace high flop, the reason i think it is better to bet here is to 1. represent an ace and hopeuflly take it down, and 2. to not get moved off a hand by worse hands that will most likely bluff if i check.
also, i know the river is a god awful call, i was just wondering about my flop play

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you 100%. Good thinking. Read my post before. However, the way you described villain he seems like the guy who might take shot on the flop and not follow it through on other two streets so I understand arguments for check calling one time only. But I would probably play the same as you did (except the river call).

It is a tough situation, one which all poker players learn to hate and no one learns how to handle it.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:31 PM

If calling a second barrel is +EV then just c/c the turn also. Even if c/c'ing the turn is -EV, the +EV you get from c/c'ing the flop might make a c/c, c/c line (even though not optimal) +EV overall. In any case, regardless of what you do on future streets, unless for some reason there ARE NO moves on turn/river which aren't extremely -EV, then you should not give up any +EV on the flop. And c/c IS +EV on the flop, IMO, so I would do that rather than betting which is clearly NOT +EV.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If calling a second barrel is +EV then just c/c the turn also. Even if c/c'ing the turn is -EV, the +EV you get from c/c'ing the flop might make a c/c, c/c line (even though not optimal) +EV overall. In any case, regardless of what you do on future streets, unless for some reason there ARE NO moves on turn/river which aren't extremely -EV, then you should not give up any +EV on the flop. And c/c IS +EV on the flop, IMO, so I would do that rather than betting which is clearly NOT +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do that against all villains or are you talking just about that specific villain in our example?