Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2007, 03:43 AM

Default Re: Best line needed

Appreciate the responses. Guess I feared a shutout when the views crossed 50.

I stopped making the big laydown in limit holdem long ago. There's just times when you know you're beat and this was one of them. I was confident in the fold and got away cheap but, considering I was flying by the seat of my pants doing it, it was almost by accident and wondered about it.

Ch/calling down may well be the safest, smartest play. Tx again for the responses.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:03 PM

You didnt play your hand in a way that suggests KK, so he's really not much more likely to raise the turn with aces as he is with kings and queens and (for as little you know about him) a worse overpair than that. Your example of why you narrowed his capping range so finely is weak. When faced with 3 cold holding AK, there are many explanations. He may have wanted to see if hte opening raiser capped. And in this hand, he may have capped with less because of the tilting sb who is putting in dead money, and because there are no more aggressors to follow. It could also be a really simple matter of him viewing AK as a drawing hand, and JJ a made hand - and he doesnt like betting or raising until he pairs with a drawing hand. That's a pretty common sentiment shared by weak/tight players.

He's betting the turn with any overpair 100% of the time anyways. And by check/calling, you guarantee that you get to see the river for the possibility of hitting a 2 outter.

Donk/folding the turn is unimaginably bad, and im guessing that the only reason anyone would encourage it here is because they dont know better or because they want to make sure you keep playing badly.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:39 PM

Just call preflop. Bet/call flop and then check/raise turn to get villain to fold his aces. SB will probably tank and stay in with a worse hand, only question is whether to bet the river. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, if your read is good (and I don't doubt it), you should just check/call down. Your line -- if villain has AA 100% of the time (and the fact he had AA this time does NOT prove this to be the case) -- saves you less than 1 BB. In fact, you will hit a K on the river 2 out of 44 times and in those cases, I think we can safely say you will pick up several BB which will lead to a profit of 12-15 BB or so. So basically if your read was 100% accurate, you saved less than 1 SB.

Your line is basically always wrong. Either he has AA 100% of the time (or 98%+ so that the math gives the same result) in which case you check/fold the flop. If he has AA less than this critical threshold (somewhere in the high 90% range), then you should check/call down.