Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 09:30 AM

Default Re: Politicians For and Against Online Poker, August 29, 2007

2008 U.S. Senate Races (update...improved for us since the last report)

34 seats in the Senate will be contested on November 4, 2008 – 12 Democratic seats and 22 Republican ones. Per the latest Cook Political Report, 2 Democratic seats and 9 Republican seats are in play. Democrats currently have a two-seat advantage (i.e., both independents caucus with the Democrats).

Solid Democratic (10): Pryor (D-AR), Biden (D-DE), Harkin (D-IA), Durbin (D-IL), Kerry (D-MA), Levin (D-MI), Baucus (D-MT), Lautenberg (D-NJ), Reed (D-RI), and Rockefeller (D-WV).

Likely Democratic (1): Johnson (D-SD).

Leaning Democratic (1): Landrieu (D-LA)

Tossup (1): Allard (R-CO) -- retiring

Leaning Republican (3): Collins (R-ME), Coleman (R-MN)and Sununu (R-NH).

Likely Republican (5): Stevens (R-AK), Craig (R-ID) [the seat itself if likely Rep., but Craig himself will likely be gone], Dole (R-NC), Domenici (R-NM), and Smith (R-OR).

Solid Republican (13): Sessions (R-AL), Chambliss (R-GA), Roberts (R-KS), McConnell (R-KY), Cochran (R-MS), Hagel (R-NE), Inhofe (R-OK), Graham (R-SC), Alexander (R-TN), Cornyn (R-TX), Warner (R-VA), and Enzi (R-WY).
Old 08-30-2007, 09:45 AM

PPA gave me a spot on their site for the scorecard, at https://pokerplayersalliance.org/new...le.php?DID=237 . I'm under no PPA editorial control for this article or for the action items I post there (i.e., I answer only to you guys). I have remote access and can update it instantly.

Also, having a spot on the PPA site helps us if we choose to use the ratings when contacting our congressmen.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:48 AM

What about traffic at the forums? Is the PPA at all going to try to drive some traffic there? Its no good having a spot there if no one sees it. Try to get Pappas to do two things.

1. Send a mass email written by one of us encouraging people to visit. Check out to see what they can do.

2. Have him ask FT, Stars, etc send an email as well encouraging site visitation. I.E. the PPA has decided to increase activity and here is where you can visit to do your part.

I am not sure if affiliate forums are willing to encourage another site, but they should jump on too. I think we could easily go from hundreds working together to thousands in a couple of weeks.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:01 AM

Forums are a good source, though i have found they do not like to work together, I post and update weekly at several different ones.

Only problem, I keep getting invites to play in too many games on too many 'skins' of the same sites.

Oh well, worth the effort though as I have built a bit of action from a few and along the way picked up a few easy $$$ too!

obg
Old 08-30-2007, 11:06 AM

I'm not sure what category John Warner is in (R-VA) other than solid republican, but he may be retiring. If he does, Mark Warner (no relation, former Governor of VA, D) may run, though he will not run against John Warner. Also, George Allen, former Sen, R will likely run, but he just lost to Jim Webb as the incumbent with Webb basically having no prior political experience of note.

Also, fwiw, John Warner does not like abusing the system with things like riders and wouldn't let Frist attach UIGEA to his bill to ramrod it through. I honestly don't know where he stands on internet gambling, but he is one of the few politicians in Washington who seems have dignity.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:00 PM

One of my friends was an intern for Dennis Hastert-IL and told me that he was vehemently anti gambling.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:48 PM

I'm going to publish this on Daily Kos today at 7:30 ET (I'll post the URL at that time, when I have it). Can you all try to post comments to promote it (cut and paste letters to Congress, the NFL, etc)? Thanks.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:51 PM

Yes, I have a membership and my 24 hour comment wait requirement is passed now.

obg
Old 08-30-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I have a membership and my 24 hour comment wait requirement is passed now.

obg

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool. It's at http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/8/30/192542/747
Old 08-30-2007, 07:30 PM

Ill sign up later tonight. Wow, my friends better not find out I signed up at Dailykos or I will have hell to pay.