Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 10:39 PM

Default Re: Fun w/ A4s

[ QUOTE ]
A hand that beats you would have put in a lot of action on the turn to scare off draws? i dont get it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Passive dummies don't play the same way we do.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:33 PM

To those who are saying "standard," what do we put "not too loose" and "passive" small blind on when he donks the flop?
Old 08-29-2007, 11:41 PM

I don't think it's possible to play this hand differently.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm still betting this. I just think that it's somewhat close and most people won't think of it when they first see the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought of it, but...
we're very rarely ahead here, but the small % of the time we are + our equity vs 2 players + the value of a free showdown is just too much to pass up

The exception would be if we think sb will frequently CR.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:43 AM

from my experience when a passive dummy donks like that he is representing a semi weak hand like AJ or AQ. Even these passive donks will check raise a set in these games or 3 bet you. I think if you are running into a hand like AK you are getting 3 bet too. So that leaves A10. We beat 2 lose to 1, seems like a bet. unless of course you have seen this guy check call a set on boards like this. then i would be wrong, but as for now I only see you losing to A10.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:21 PM

So, the more I thought about it after this hand, the more I realized that I'm never ahead of SB on the turn. Ever. Sure, a lot of cards help me, sure I can even chop with him a lot if the board pairs, and sure there's a third player putting money in on the turn. But it doesn't matter, because I'm going to need to show the best hand to win and I don't have it.

When the action got to me on the turn it was so routine I didn't even consider doing anything else. I bet planning to check behind, expecting my A to be no good unimproved. But the more I think I about it, the more retarded that sounds to me. I'M BEHIND AND I KNOW IT. All you guys know it.

Checking the turn is by far the best play here. Andy knew it when he was sweating me, too, I think. I'm reminded of something Tommy Angelo wrote. When am I going to stop doing dumb things that I know not to do? When I decide to, I guess.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:29 PM

Well, I don't play in these games, but I don't think the turn bet is so bad. Isn't it possible both of the other hands are on a draw? Also, some chance you will fold another weak ace so not have to chop on the river unimproved?
Old 08-30-2007, 05:58 PM

From the sounds of Dude's read on SB, he isn't donking the flop with a draw - it's almost certainly a bigger Ace.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:57 PM

Well, nobody (yet) answered my question about what they put this guy on when he donks the flop. This is a tight guy at the Bellagio. The worst hand he has here certainly beats A-4 on the turn.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So, the more I thought about it after this hand, the more I realized that I'm never ahead of SB on the turn. Ever. Sure, a lot of cards help me, sure I can even chop with him a lot if the board pairs, and sure there's a third player putting money in on the turn. But it doesn't matter, because I'm going to need to show the best hand to win and I don't have it.

When the action got to me on the turn it was so routine I didn't even consider doing anything else. I bet planning to check behind, expecting my A to be no good unimproved. But the more I think I about it, the more retarded that sounds to me. I'M BEHIND AND I KNOW IT. All you guys know it.

Checking the turn is by far the best play here. Andy knew it when he was sweating me, too, I think. I'm reminded of something Tommy Angelo wrote. When am I going to stop doing dumb things that I know not to do? When I decide to, I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

If SB can never have KQs or QQ and can never fold AXs < 10, then yeah, you shouldn't bet the turn. But it doesn't take a whole lot in this spot for a bet to be fine, given that you've got 3 chopouts vs AQ, 6 vs AXs < 10, & 13 outs to a win. Your options are are to check behind and fold to a river bet or bet here and I think given the equity you'll usually have that betting is fine, though it's rarely hugely +EV.

Rob