Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 02:19 PM

Default Re: The Military and Armed Conflict

Because he has divested of all Halliburton interests and stood nothing to gain from Iraq or any contracts granted during the Bush admin.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:24 PM

you are a naive person.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because he has divested of all Halliburton interests and stood nothing to gain from Iraq or any contracts granted during the Bush admin.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you think I'm ignorant!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Follow Cheney when he retires.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:32 PM

1. What do you think of people who join the military, and why?

Well, as stated above there are various reasons as too why people join the army, however for the most part i think they are miss guided to some degree. I have no firm stats on recruitment for the military, but i will list the perceptions that i have towards the people that join. I would guess the largest group of recruites would have to be high school to college age applicants coming from poor towns and cities with little hope of making much from their lives. I think the military preys on this lost souls who are easily influenced and have little guidance. They can be easily influenced into thinking that the war is heroic and fun. Think Britney pop music loving tweens but poor and mostly male. Then probably the next largest group of recruits would be composed of people coming from families which previous generations have served. They have already been brain washed (obviously a loaded statement) by there parents and grandparents and feel it necessary for acceptance and to prove their own worth. Perhaps also encouraged to become 'a real man' or something like that. Then I think the next group probably somewhere inbetween the first and second is the revenge for 9/11 group. I think this is a fairly large group and you could probably easily get stats on the recruitment increase from 9/11, i that it even had a ripple effect here in Canada and likely throughout the Western world. Perhaps there is also a small group of people who join to see the world and get a college education, but i doubt that its as large a group because they know they will have to fight a war. I have to get back to work, so i will actually make a point of this whole list that i have compiled.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 08-29-2007, 02:40 PM

Could you answer the questions?
Old 08-29-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. What do you think of people who join the military, and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

They are bamboozled and sad victims of the meatgrinding state/ruling class. When the kill their life is destroyed forever.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Do you think armed conflict is sometimes unavoidable?

[/ QUOTE ]

Death star objection?

[ QUOTE ]
3. What avenues can one take if they wish to help in an armed conflict on a soldiering level?

[/ QUOTE ]

Flee to Canada.

[ QUOTE ]
4. What do you think of private military contractors?

[/ QUOTE ]

Essentially the same.

[ QUOTE ]
5. What do you think of private security forces? (emphasis on "forces" and not a department store security guard)

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it voluntary? Is it moral? If yes to both -> fantastic.

I've linked these before and think they're swell:

http://www.freedomainradioshows.com/...3_Soldiers.mp3

http://www.freedomainradioshows.com/...art_4_Cops.mp3
Old 08-29-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmmmmmmm. Very good OP.

Me have many thoughts on this topic. But, ALAS, I have to be going out to enjoy the free market of Phuket nightlife.

I'll weigh in laterz (soberlike) but do look forward to the responses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Back in 1975, I could get a girl for the night for $5.00 and a hotel room for $5.00 and a brick of Thai sticks for $5.00. What's the going rate now?

For those of you who don't know: A brick is 20 sticks of Thai pot, and a stick of Thai pot in 1975 in the states cost $20.00.

[/ QUOTE ]

still a bargain. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2007, 07:10 PM

1) There are a lot of reasons. I think the biggest two are:
A) You believe in something idealogical, though given what the American military does I can't imagine what that is.
B) You want the extra money and perks compared to how you do in civilian life. 3 square and college money and all.

2) Obviously, if you get invaded. In the US though I'd say every war since WWII was avoidable.

3) Enlist...duh

4+5) I think that is determined by what contracts they take on.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:54 AM

So are you going to explain your position at all?

leighguy

I know question 3 sounds a bit odd, but the reason I threw it out there is for those that think joining the military is morally wrong. I want to know what other ways they think one can participate in national defence or help with an over-seas conflict in a combative sense.

If I see problems in the world, and I see the Military helping in some of those problems, but I believe that joining the military is wrong due to other activites certain sections of the military have performed, what is the best avenue?

I'm trying to argue that there is no real alternative. There is no private armed force that would have anywhere near the capabilities of the Military, nor get involved in conflict resolution like the Military often does/can. I'm not even aware if such a body exists.