Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 03:53 AM

Default Re: ALL BOOKS WRONG, KINDA ANNOYS ME

I agree that low limit online games are a lot tougher than books would make out to be (I've read the Lee Jones book whose name I can't remember off hand and more recently SSLHE). With that in mind, is Stox's book suitable for a $1/$2 online player circa 2007?

I'm starting to get the impression it would be, even if that wasn't the original intention..
Old 08-29-2007, 08:52 AM

games used to be that way about 2 years ago, incredibily loose. I remeber a 0.5/1 game where you could just wait for aces, riase pre-flop to 20 (without a previous raise ahead) and get about 3-4 callers. Oh how the times have changed, it was all such easy money back then...
Old 08-29-2007, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I will excuse all older books(pre online boom) but i recently read a new book about playing low online limit, and STOXTRADERS book on tough limit games, and it was 100 percent wrong about low limit games online. Everywhere u read people say most games 3/6 and below are loose games where 4-6 players see the flop, and this cant be further from the truth. These games see 2-4 people to the flop, and are very TAG. It just annoys me because neone who spends more then 5 minutes in one of these rooms can see this. This maybe a rant, but i was shocked when i saw this in stoxtraders new book, because they both claim to have worked their way up from smaller games . This annoys me because if ur gonna write a book about a preticular game(low online limit)dont just write what has been written before n collect a check, make it accurate

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that is a little annoying. Authors should just remove silly sections like that from their books, and simply describe conditions, not limits.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's kinda the way I felt about SSLHE when I bought it 2 years ago. The games online weren't even as loose as the tight games described in the book (at least at 1-2 and up). I only played them to work off bonuses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That said, your rant is not justified. It takes about a year from concept to delivery to turn out a good book. No book about conditions on the internet can be current and accurate. A good book will present the general principles and will tell you how to think about adjusting those principles for specific conditions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Since the author should have known this, he should have presented just the general principles, and not tried to describe how a particular limit plays. It's a flaw in the book.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OP, you'd be better off with SSHE, and maybe working on your adjustments in the LHE forums. It doesn't sound like WITGH is for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

You completely missed his point. He said he's playing in tough $3/6 games, not how those games were described in WITHG.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:39 PM

The description more describes FR B&M than online play now, but it wasn't unrealistic considering when it was written. There's been a very noticable shift towards TAG both NL and LHE over the last year.