Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Ask me about being a religious jew

Blitz, assuming you know my background here, would you object to me dating your daughter based on that alone?

***this really has nothing to do with you being a religious Jew, so I guess I'm just checking my options. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2007, 04:51 PM

This is a great idea for a lounge thread, OP.

Do you ever question your faith? Excuse the triviality of this example, but after years of indoctrination do you find yourself asking things like, "How come I can't eat bacon? Bacon tastes good."

How do you wrestle with bigger picture faith issues, such as why you believe what you believe?
Old 08-28-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you had a daughter of marrying age, what would be your reaction is she wanted to marry a non-Jew,

[/ QUOTE ]
This question came up in the original thread (the one name "My daughter is leaving home"). My answer was and remains that if my daughter were to marry a non-Jew I would have serious problems with that and would not be able to go to the wedding.

[ QUOTE ]
or a "secular Jew"

[/ QUOTE ]
I would not be happy - obviously but there is no question of me cutting off contacts or anything like that. I would be a bit disappointed though if it meant that I would not be able to eat in my daughter's home.

[ QUOTE ]

Do you think that "religious Jews" are more or less tolerant than fundamentalist Christians?

[/ QUOTE ]
Good question.
I think it varies and it is hard to generalise. I have basically taught my kids that although you may not agree with someone else's beliefs that does not mean you can make fun on them. They are as important to him as your's are to you.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blitz, assuming you know my background here, would you object to me dating your daughter based on that alone?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not quite sure what you mean about your background.
Within my sort of religious community most couples meet through blind dates set up in any number of ways.
Parents to parents is a very rare case. In most cases it is friends that do it.

And one more point - she already has a bf.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you ever question your faith?

[/ QUOTE ]
Anyone who tells you that they have never had any doubts is a lier. Everyone has their doubts at some point or another.

So far nothing has caused me to seriously waver from my beliefs.

[ QUOTE ]

How do you wrestle with bigger picture faith issues, such as why you believe what you believe?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not quite sure how to answer this one.
Hard to say why I believe. I suppose I just do. It is certainly not something that was drilled into me in any way. I come from a less religious family.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:53 PM

Something that's always bothered me regarding the laws. Us reform Jews modify/interpret the laws so as to meet our needs. There's no hiding that. Personally, I'm grateful to have a female rabbi, because I think it brings a new perspective. But surely you don't follow EVERY law (i.e. forcing a widow to marry her deceased husband's brother, stoning those who commit adultery, not planting different crops in the same field). When were these modified?
Old 08-28-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not quite sure what you mean about your background.
Within my sort of religious community most couples meet through blind dates set up in any number of ways.
Parents to parents is a very rare case. In most cases it is friends that do it.

And one more point - she already has a bf.

[/ QUOTE ]

assuming she didn't have a BF:

I have a Masters in Communication Arts
I own my own home
Never married but would love to be
love kids
close to my family
honest and loyal

oh yeah, and I used to produce and direct adult films.

(I'm also 44 and no doubt too old for your daughter)

But assuming I was fifteen years younger, knowing what you know now, would you object to your daughter dating me?
Old 08-28-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is certainly not something that was drilled into me in any way. I come from a less religious family.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that you come from a less religious family, what motivated you to become more serious about your religion? How does your family (parents and siblings) feel about your adherence to your faith?

Also, what do you think about people who were not brought up Jewish at all but who convert? Do you distrust them? Do you think they are less serious than yourself? Would it be ok if your daughter married a converted Jew?
Old 08-28-2007, 06:23 PM

So, you really live in Israel?

I knew a few Israelites, they were all wonderful people. "Religious" would not describe them, unless drinking and cursing is tolerable in the Jewish Community.

They had a very odd sense of humor. I guess the word would be macabre, meaning obsessed with the dark side. For example, one was driving, and I was talking about where we were going. He says, "as long as we make it." This seems different.

How do you feel about Islam and it's practitioners?

Where I live in LA, there is a large Orthodox Jewish Community. I find them odd, but I find them good people too. I know someone who turned to them. If it wasn't for them, he would probably be homeless. They seem to stay alone, but they don't seem too stuck up either.

From observing them:

How do you place women and children, and how does that contrast with your religion?

Do you wear all black?

What value do you place on education? And what values do you place on having a job vs. self-employment.

I didn't know you prayed three times a day. How do you balance that with work, and do you encounter problems because of it?
Old 08-28-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But surely you don't follow EVERY law

[/ QUOTE ]
I do my best.

[ QUOTE ]
forcing a widow to marry her deceased husband's brother

[/ QUOTE ]
The option of refusing has always been there. It appears in the bible.

[ QUOTE ]
stoning those who commit adultery

[/ QUOTE ]
Need a fully qualified Rabbinical court that could only exist when the Temple does. So this is a moot question.

[ QUOTE ]
not planting different crops in the same field).

[/ QUOTE ]
I keep this one 100%.

[ QUOTE ]
When were these modified?

[/ QUOTE ]
Never.