Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Congratulations WPEX on dumbest improvement ever

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You can't please everyone. But we're trying.

Fred Balfour
GM
WSEX.com

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a joke right?

You have a couple dozen players. You're splitting them up onto different tables.

If you really wanted to drive traffic to WSEX you would attempt to implement policies bringing you on par with the top sites.

You're going in the opposite direction.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyi.... they have a couple of empty tables..
Old 08-29-2007, 08:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't please everyone. You paid people to play poker (no rake + aces cracked) and they still whined.
My problem with this decision is the fact that it will split up the already meager player base. We need to consolidate the players, not spread them out.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you.

You have a choice. You can play on the HH tables or the non-HH tables. The HH tables have all of the table names.

If you don't want to be datamined, play on the non-HH tables. You want to datamine others and be datamined yourself, enjoy the full HH tables.

Fred Balfour
GM
WSEX.com

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is, Fred, that although the idea has merit, unless the traffic grows to the point that there an abundance of games going on both varieties of tables, it will not work.

You have to play on the tables where there's a poker game going on. That's the only relevant factor for me when I log on to play. I am not going to sit alone waiting for people to join when there are already games going at tables of the opposite variety.

The no HH deal for AA cracked has already burned me once. As a low stakes player, the EV in that promo alone is not worth the sacrifice.

The thing I don't get, is why would WPX think there are players that wouldn't want datamining allowed, and furthermore would they boycott WPX if it were allowed? Has anyone protested this? Basically every major site's HH files allow this. Why draw attention to it by having two different tables.

I would speculate that a lot of fish either don't know about PT/HUDs or don't care. Think about all of the "How-To" poker books that are inexpensive and are easily obtainable anywhere in the world via amazon.com. Why don't fish read the books? Because they don't feel it's worth A) their money, B) their time to acquire the book and read it and C) their effort in understanding the material.

The know the books are available, and they know that there's potential that their opponents have read the books. But they don't care. You can delve into the psychological phenomenon that is the mindset of a degenerate gambler/fish further if you care to. The point is, calling attention to it is probably doing more harm than good.

It think it'd have been better just to allow it on all tables without all this fanfare and be done with it.

Just a though.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:42 AM

I've got to agree with many on this issue. Perhaps down the road, after growth, this idea would have been a great implementation. Now, though, all you are doing is dividing an already thin player base.

You want to give us the choice of which we play. You are not. You are simply providing a second type of table that we will be FORCED to play because that's where the game is at that particular time. You simply don't have enough players for this to be considered a choice.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing I don't get, is why would WPX think there are players that wouldn't want datamining allowed, and furthermore would they boycott WPX if it were allowed? Has anyone protested this? Basically every major site's HH files allow this. Why draw attention to it by having two different tables. I would speculate that a lot of fish either don't know about PT/HUDs or don't care.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. Its the strange crackpot-like cult of people like 'tuff_fish' that the GM latched onto early for some reason. Few players, not enough to matter, object. Most don't give a [censored] about the HH and HUDs or datamining.

Now this latest 'improvement' sucks, for reasons already stated above. Why does this site consistently make the wrong moves?

Get more traffic, any other goal is trivial. Can the GM please focus on the big picture? Thanks
Old 08-29-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The thing I don't get, is why would WPX think there are players that wouldn't want datamining allowed,

[/ QUOTE ]

Unbelievable........

Tuff
Old 08-30-2007, 03:58 AM

WSEX GM:

I advise that you guys hire a new poker room manager/marketing director. Your attempt to please all the players, all of the time is a classic marketing 101 error, it will doom your poker room at the rate you are going.

For good examples feel free to explore the B&M forum threads about poker room management, live rooms learned long ago to cater to the players who devote the most amount of hours at their tables and are helpful in starting games. Your model flys counter to many of the established rules that are proven over time - not wise.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:52 AM

Absolutely correct TT. You can't please everyone so you should wisely choose to please your bread and butter.

Although I was beating these extreme TAG games for a modest hourly rate, I was only really there for the 100% rake back. The 100% rakeback was good , but I could conceivably make slightly more at other sites even without the 100% but chose to invest the majority of my playing time at WPEX in order to hopefully "grow" the site.

Once they chopped it down to 75% I had to reevaluate. Then there was talk about contributed/dealt, etc. It almost seems like they're going out of their way to alienate the players that were putting tons of hours in.

They probably have good intentions but I think some of the major decisions they are making are lacking of common sense.

It's pretty simple. You don't have to reinvent the wheel at every turn. Just give a quality product and market the crap out of it. And again, common sense will either grow or kill your site. Please don't try and please everyone and listen to every yahoo no matter how much they "sound" like they know what they are talking about.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
WSEX GM:

I advise that you guys hire a new poker room manager/marketing director. Your attempt to please all the players, all of the time is a classic marketing 101 error, it will doom your poker room at the rate you are going.

For good examples feel free to explore the B&M forum threads about poker room management, live rooms learned long ago to cater to the players who devote the most amount of hours at their tables and are helpful in starting games. Your model flys counter to many of the established rules that are proven over time - not wise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this has been said in the WSEX threads many times in many ways by lots of people, but you state the point nicely.

Problem is, GM is somehow oblivious to this most basic idea. Instead, GM is held, with doe-like starry-eyed wonder, in concert with cranks and crackpots like 'tuff_fish,' by some fuzzy vision of a fairy-dwelling alternate reality.

Rational advice from some very smart and experienced cardroom experts mostly falls on deaf ears as the GM stumbles around implementing policies from the inane to the ridiculous.

Who has the power to can the GM, and does HE read these posts?
Old 09-01-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WSEX GM:

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be spot-on IF WSEX had created its poker room for the typical reason--i.e., to make money on its own. But I don't think that's the case. I think WSEX created WPX primarily to 1) give their sports bettors another gambling outlet, and 2) generate additional sports bets from poker players like us. Given those likely priorities, I suppose eliminating HHs might make sense. Perhaps WSEX thinks datamining helps dataminers fleece the sports bettors who find their way to the poker room, thus taking money away from WSEX. And perhaps the dataminers aren't making any sports bets, so why cater to them?