Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Thinking of moving to New York

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am also moving to NY in october/november. I am planning to live in Hoboken which is right across the Hudson in Jersey (google map, just type "hoboken nj"). Its a lot cleaner than Manhattan and is heavily geared toward the 22-27 crowd. It's about 20 minutes from midtown depending on where you live.

A lot of my friends already live there and I am currently looking for a roomate... I'll send you a PM with my info if you're interested. Prices in hoboken are generally ~1k/mo for a lot of space (way more than say, upper east side of manhattan which is also popular for early/mid 20s) with utilities etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, you're going to be in for a big surprise.

Let me just clarify, in case you don't know. Hoboken (where I live with my fiancé), is referred to as a fraternity graveyard. I absolutely [censored] hate 90% of the people who live there. It is clean and safe, and door to door to midtown (depending on your address) is about 45 minutes.

$1k per month with lots of space is WAY off. Even the area near the projects isn't that cheap. My fiancé and I pay $1550 for a 1-bed, maybe 600 square feet. That's pretty cheap, considering it's about a ten minute walk to the PATH. If you live uptown or very far east (closer to the ghetto areas east), you can pay less, but not by much. I would look around on craigslist and hobokeni.com before you decide that you're going to find a huge space at a discount price in Hoboken. You also have to be careful on craigslist, because people will list properties that are really in Union City or Jersey City, but they'll call it Hoboken. There's a big difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? I'm confused as to what you mean by a 'fraternity graveyard'. Please clarify.

Just a few points where we disagree:

[ QUOTE ]
It is clean and safe, and door to door to midtown (depending on your address) is about 45 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is totally depedent on where in Hoboken you live and where in Midtown you are going. For example, if you live a block from the Path and are going to Madison Square Garden, you can be there in 15-20 minutes.

[ QUOTE ]
$1k per month with lots of space is WAY off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. Unless you are talking about getting a studio or something, this is simply wrong. I live with 2 roommates in a 3 bedroom place, my room is 200 sq. feet (with a private balcony), and I pay $1000/month. We live in a very attractive part of Hoboken, as well. Granted, we got pretty lucky, but other friends in the area have gotten similar deals, as well.

[ QUOTE ]
Even the area near the projects isn't that cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because the entire town is being gentrified. The areas around the PJ's are the cheapest for new development, hence these apartments tend to be brand new/refurbished.

[ QUOTE ]
If you live uptown or very far east (closer to the ghetto areas east), you can pay less, but not by much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mean west. The closer to the river (East), the more expensive your apartment.

[ QUOTE ]
You also have to be careful on craigslist, because people will list properties that are really in Union City or Jersey City, but they'll call it Hoboken. There's a big difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, there is a big difference. But, these ads typically say "Near Hoboken" or "Steps from Hoboken", so they are pretty easy to spot.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Huh? I'm confused as to what you mean by a 'fraternity graveyard'. Please clarify.

[/ QUOTE ]
Have you ever been to any of the bars near the train station? Hobson's Choice, Texas Arizona, etc? That should be enough to understand what is meant by fraternity graveyard. I like Hoboken for it's location and the fact that it's relatively quiet, but for a social scene, it's almost always Manhattan. I just don't want to spend my time with a bunch of meatheads.

[ QUOTE ]
This is totally depedent on where in Hoboken you live and where in Midtown you are going. For example, if you live a block from the Path and are going to Madison Square Garden, you can be there in 15-20 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]
Right, but I said depending on address. I would guess that the average door-to-door commute from Hoboken is roughly 40-45 minutes.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
$1k per month with lots of space is WAY off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. Unless you are talking about getting a studio or something, this is simply wrong. I live with 2 roommates in a 3 bedroom place, my room is 200 sq. feet (with a private balcony), and I pay $1000/month. We live in a very attractive part of Hoboken, as well. Granted, we got pretty lucky, but other friends in the area have gotten similar deals, as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was thinking $1000 for a 1-bed. My fault.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Even the area near the projects isn't that cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because the entire town is being gentrified. The areas around the PJ's are the cheapest for new development, hence these apartments tend to be brand new/refurbished.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what this is clarifying. My point was that even the "bad" neighborhoods are expensive now.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you live uptown or very far east (closer to the ghetto areas east), you can pay less, but not by much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mean west. The closer to the river (East), the more expensive your apartment.

[/ QUOTE ]
I did mean west.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Have you ever been to any of the bars near the train station? Hobson's Choice, Texas Arizona, etc? That should be enough to understand what is meant by fraternity graveyard. I like Hoboken for it's location and the fact that it's relatively quiet, but for a social scene, it's almost always Manhattan. I just don't want to spend my time with a bunch of meatheads.

[/ QUOTE ]

i cant argue this. i went to a college with no frats and cant bench press my own weight...and i definitely feel like im out of place most of the time.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Classifying the entire Hoboken demographic by one block of bars if pretty ridiculous, especially considering that Hoboken has more bars per square mile than anywhere else in the country (160+ at last count). True, those bars you mention are Manhattanish and full of fist-pumpers and d-bags, but what do you expect? They are right next to the Path.

So try going to one of the other 150 bars in town. There are bars for every possible demographic: Irish Pubs, college bars, high-class lounge bars, dance clubs, sports bars, live music bars, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what this is clarifying. My point was that even the "bad" neighborhoods are expensive now.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point was the fact that paying similar rent in these "bad" areas isn't that big of a deal, considering you will typically be in a much nicer/bigger apartment. Also, due to gentrification, these areas likely won't be considered "bad" in a few years anyway.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:03 PM

id concur. hoboken is def a frat house with old people.

also be very aware that at night the path runs every 30 minutes...so when you are hammered and want to get home right away you often have to wait in a hot train station for about 15 minutes on top of your commute time.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:18 PM

most people who move to new york for the first time are broke. i certainly was and so were almost all my friends. (if we weren't broke when we got here, we certainly got broke early and often)

anyway, if you have even one friend to count on to get you started and help you get on your feet, i dont' see how you can say no to trying something out. and come on, there's hundreds of thousands of immigrants who move to new york whose financial situation has to be worse than yours.

also, if you could convince some manager to hire you behind the bar, you would kill it. your social life outside the bar could be epic.

trying to get a working visa is another matter. . .
Old 08-28-2007, 10:48 PM

Don't move to NYC unless you make 5k a month.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:04 PM

To work at most bars in NYC you need some bartending experience... I think you should really plan this out before moving
Old 08-28-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To work at most bars in NYC you need some bartending experience... I think you should really plan this out before moving

[/ QUOTE ]

That or know someone which would be tough coming from AU.