Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Flush draws: When to keep going and when to give them up?

OK...good suggestion. I'll make a comparison tonight (but I'm pretty certain of what I will discover within about 5% points).
Old 08-27-2007, 12:24 PM

I think Roland has something there. Like be more aggressive.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:28 PM

I'll look for some flush-draw hands that might be worth posting for analysis.

At any rate, thanks for all the replies I've received so far. However, maybe I should have asked a few other questions in my OP:

1. Besides watching for cards of your suit showing up on 4th, 5th and 6th streets that would effectively make your flush draw dead, are there other situations when you should fold your four-flush on 5th or 6th streets?

2. How far do you go with your four-flush against opponent(s) you put on two overpairs, or trips, or a made straight, or a made smaller flush, or even a live bigger flush draw?

3. When, if ever, do you fold your made flush?

Obviously, I have my own answers to these questions, but maybe they are strategically the "wrong" answers. Opinions from all of you are valued.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:16 PM

Post your answers and let the debate begin. This is great WAWA.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:29 PM

OK... IN GENERAL, my answers are:

1. Irrespective of opponents' cards, yes there are situations I think you should fold your flush draw on 5th or 6th street that are dependent on the number of opponents and size of the pot, e.g., isolated against a single player on 5th or 6th street with a small pot.

2. Again although number of opponents and size of pot are factors, I am likely to go all the way to the river with my flush draw against all of the hands I listed except for what I believe to be trips made on 4th or 5th streets and all I have is the flush draw with no backdoor outs to beat the trips. (This is probably the part of my flush-draw play that needs the most help.)

3. Yes, and I have folded flushes a few times. I believe every time I did it was on 6th street, and they were in situations where I was convinced the opponent(s) had quads or a boat. I may have folded a flush on the river once or twice, but I don't recall doing it and doubt that I would if I could call for one more bet.

All right...tell me what adjustments I need to make to my thinking and playing.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:37 PM

If that doesnt work try live animal sacrifices.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:54 PM

What limits do u play and which sites are u at. 1-5 stud is your main "live" game right?
Old 08-27-2007, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What limits do u play and which sites are u at. 1-5 stud is your main "live" game right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you asking me or chucky? (The Re: says it is to chucky, but I suspect you hit the Quick Reply and may have meant it for me.)

If the questions are meant for me, you already pretty much know the answers, inasmuch as we have played against each other on-line numerous times. However, for the edification of others, I generally play 1/2, 2/4, 3/6 and 5/10 stud, mostly at FTP and occasionally at PS. Prior to my slump and during the first few weeks of it, I was playing mostly 3/6. As my slump progressed (regressed?), I began dropping down in limits to the point where now I play almost exclusively at 1/2 and in the last two weeks have even been playing some $.50/1. As you can see in this thread, my bankroll at FTP has taken quite a hit since the first of July. Since I posted this, my balance at FTP is about the same, but that is somewhat misleading inasmuch as I have earned $100 in bonus money since then and won about $60 in the aforementioned two tournies this past weekend. Although I also spent about $75 in tourney fees these last two weeks, I've lost yet another $80-90 in cash games playing either 1/2 stud, $.50/1 stud or 1/2 LHE.

My "live" stud experience has been limited to 1-5 and 2-10 and a couple stud tournaments.

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with the questions I posed about playing flush draws, but I'm sure you're gonna 'splain it to me, Lucy.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:28 PM

I'm on all the sites and they're all a little different. Just for the record. I'm taking your problem seriously. I miss you, PL went thru the same experience.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:53 PM

I think what SG said is very important. I know you don't use PT, but if your numbers are accurate it sounds like a real bad run of cards is the major problem...they happen, and sometimes not just for a week or two.

Based on your last post you linked to, it sounds like you might be playing a bit under-bankrolled. With only 900 at the site, you are playing only a 150 BB roll on the 3/6 and 5/10 is just a real bad idea with only 90 BB. This could lead to playing scared a bit which leads to bad decisions. The FT games have crazy swings it seems as most of the regulars there are on the 40+VPIP: The good days are real good, but the bad sessions can be brutal. It is really amazing what some people are playing in the 5/10 and 8/16 game when it goes.

As to your questions, four-flushes are tough to pry out of my hands...I would have to have a good read to let one go in these games. 4 to a higher flush showing i can probable bail; trips on board; high paired door card after a completion.
As for a made flush, it just doesnt come up that often where you have to fold one before the river to even worry about it and you would rarely be correct to throw one away in these games.