Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Inland Empire

[ QUOTE ]

Blue Velvet is one of my favorite films of all-time. I think it's tough to compare the more linear and conventional Blue Velvet to any of the more disjointed films like Inland Empire or Mulholland Drive or Lost Highway, but they do all have a common aspect in their darkness and sense of alienation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. In particular I rate Mulholland Drive way up on my favorite movies list because it opened my eyes to a whole other level of film.

[ QUOTE ]

I think these are necessary themes that are too often neglected in mainstream films, at least in any meaningful way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also true. The only mainstream film that comes to mind for me is American Beauty. And it only explores these briefly before moving on.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:51 AM

I got taken to the movie by a cinephile friend of mine and I'm glad I went. A great work of art, one to really admire, if not quite enjoy exactly. The performance of Laura Dern's career up to this point. The last hour or so of the movie where she gets progressively more and more weirded out is so strangely compelling and suspenseful. And FWIW, I thought that musical number half way through with the hot chicks ended WAY too soon.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:48 PM

Worse than Mulholland, but still worth the movie ticket.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Blue Velvet is one of my favorite films of all-time. I think it's tough to compare the more linear and conventional Blue Velvet to any of the more disjointed films like Inland Empire or Mulholland Drive or Lost Highway, but they do all have a common aspect in their darkness and sense of alienation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. In particular I rate Mulholland Drive way up on my favorite movies list because it opened my eyes to a whole other level of film.

[ QUOTE ]

I think these are necessary themes that are too often neglected in mainstream films, at least in any meaningful way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also true. The only mainstream film that comes to mind for me is American Beauty. And it only explores these briefly before moving on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose there is a theme in American Beauty that qualifies, but I was thinking of something else.

Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer had a bit of the feel that I was thinking of.

I think maybe (and I might be out on a limb here) it could also be said that In Cold Blood had some too.

Ooh--La Dolce Vita, in its own way.

But Lynch expresses this thing better than anyone, of course. There is a scene in Lost Highway where Bill Pullman's character is "crossing over," and he is slowly moving down one of those patented Lynch hallways, and it's so effective, so evocative, seriously.

And there's really not much point to bringing up Eraserhead, which really redefined permissibility in terms of expressing darkness in film. It's the perfect film, in many ways.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:08 PM

Is there anywhere one can watch "Rabbits?" Neither Netflix nor Blockbuster seems to have it, and all I found on dailymotion was one episode.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:10 PM

I have been dying to see this. I'll be purchasing the dvd although I would have preferred to see it on the big screen. Huge Lynch fan. My only disappointment by him was Lost Highway and even it had it's moments.

I was a Twin Peaks freak and it was scary to find I connected on some psychological level with much of his work.

A huge part of his movies, IMO, is the music. Badalamenti never fails to disappoint. I understand that's actually Lynch singing on the trailer ("Strange What Love Does" ??title). I have the soundtrack from everything he's done. Very moving.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:30 PM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

I posted this in a Lounge thread back in January:

I saw it a couple weeks ago when I was in New York. I'm a huge Lynch fan, and I remember hearing about this film months ago and thinking "well, I probably won't get to watch that for another year or so." And then to my most pleasant surprise I realized it was playing at the IFC Center on 6th Ave. when I was in NYC over Xmas.

Before the movie starts, there's a few clips of David Lynch on stage addressing a crowd on a microphone (presumably at some sort of premiere). The first thing he says is, "Okay, so.....um....this movie is three hours long and it's not about anything." (or something like that). Really funny.

And anyway, he's right of course. I found it to be his most gratuitous film. It really feels like he left NOTHING out. I usually love his pacing (which is almost always very slow), and I love his non-linear narratives (Lost Highway is probably my favorite of his films), but this film felt like it just flat-out dragged.

There are some really amazing scenes, and the overall concept and direction are great. It just really got to be too much by the third hour. My attention started to wane - which was unfortunate since I was still captivated by certain scenes.

Laura Dern is freaking fantastic in this film. Absolutely amazing performance. Definitely the best I"ve seen from her, and the best I've seen of anyone in a long time.

I'm curious to see what my interest is like when I see it again. I think I'll be more prepared, and will have had my palette moistened on a lot of the extremely complex things going on in the film. But my initial reaction is that there were some amazing aspects of the movie, but it could've been better if it were edited to be about 45 minutes shorter.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A huge part of his movies, IMO, is the music. Badalamenti never fails to disappoint. I understand that's actually Lynch singing on the trailer ("Strange What Love Does" ??title). I have the soundtrack from everything he's done. Very moving.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]..I'm a good writer...
Old 08-27-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there anywhere one can watch "Rabbits?" Neither Netflix nor Blockbuster seems to have it, and all I found on dailymotion was one episode.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hasn't been released on DVD yet, and I don't think it's technically legally watchable anywhere at this time. You'll have to "acquire" it, which shouldn't be hard.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hasn't been released on DVD yet, and I don't think it's technically legally watchable anywhere at this time. You'll have to "acquire" it, which shouldn't be hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being that I am not smart about these things, if anyone could PM me about this "not hard" acquisition, I'd be most beholden to you, most beholden.