Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2007, 07:03 PM

Default Re: 96 was a good year

Donking the flop is good, because you would hate for it to get checked around.

I agree with Oink. Most decent players don't raise overs mulitway. Once he raises, you're most likely behind.

I understand what you're saying, Peg. Your hand has a decent shot against an overpair and we would like the PFR to raise out a hand like A6, etc...

I think both lines are good here: Check/raise or bet out. I favor betting out, because of the chance, however slim, the two other players would freeze up and check it.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:13 PM

Is 3 betting the river against a TAG really that automatic? Remember, Peg's read is that villain is a good player.

Put yourself in the TAG's spot. What would you guys realistically pay off a 3 bet with? The only hands I can see him calling with are JJ, KK.

If this particular TAG pays off a lot, than I can understand 3 betting with impunity. But against a good player, I don't think we stand to make much. He either folds the majority of the hands we beat or caps us.

And if he caps us, do we pay off?
Old 08-26-2007, 07:17 PM

"I don't think the flop lead is bad. this is the kind of flop that CO is most likely to check with overs, and with button still to act you put pressure on CO to incorrectly fold a hand with 6 outs."

Great point. Considering that, I actually like leading the flop more than C/R.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:50 PM

I disagree with Oink on the flop. I don't donk this every time (or even most of the time) but the idea that a TAG isn't raising overs here is kinda silly, especially with a 2 flush on the board (If I held black AK here, I'd be delighted to make Button fold QdJx or the like. Or even random gutshot + overs + bdfds.

That said, just from the stats, I don't *think* this guy is aggro enough for him to raise you with overs often enough for the play to be better than C/Ring.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:05 PM

The preflop call is fine. Getting 5.5 to 1 when you're suited is the obvious reason, but I also like to play "loose" from the blinds for image reasons.

Too many people seem to think your "loose" blind play will spill over into the hands you voluntarily play, even when that's so far from the truth.

I'm indifferent on donking or c/r'ing the flop, but that is discussed elsewhere.

I think this is an easy river 3-bet. If he has Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], so be it. But my instincts tell me he hit a set somewhere.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:58 PM

3-bet <font color="white"> fold to cap.</font>
Old 08-27-2007, 05:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Id c/r the flop. The typical TAG is betting his whole range on the flop(even when its incorrect).

[/ QUOTE ]

Nina do you think it would be a mistake if villain cbets
this flop with AJo when its checked to him. Is there a difference when villain holds a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]?
Old 08-27-2007, 05:37 AM

There are not many better flush hands with which Villain's flop raise makes sense, so i go ahead and 3ball. Its probably correct to fold to a cap but i couldnt do that.

And most villains will pay off, i haven't seen many raise/folds on 2/4.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:52 AM

About the flop.

I agree with Seth. A donk is fine if

- CO will raise overs
- CO will likely check

Judging from the stats CO might check and donking is ok.

But the "bet to make CO raise and protect my hand" strategy has the fundamental flaw that I already described.

@Pegboy

If you bet and CO raises you will get good odds on the turn. You can not fold you pair of 6 in that spot with your 2 pair outs and gutter.

I dont mind that you use the info about CO's hand when he raises. But you better be sure to know which range of hands he raises with before you use it to lay down your hand.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Id c/r the flop. The typical TAG is betting his whole range on the flop(even when its incorrect).

[/ QUOTE ]

Nina do you think it would be a mistake if villain cbets
this flop with AJo when its checked to him. Is there a difference when villain holds a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO it would be a mistake to bet this flop with AJ no diamond. They'll also bet the flop with Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] which is terrible.