Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Good DVD Commentaries?

Boondock Saints has a pretty good one. The best one IMO is the commentary track on Black Hawk Down by the actual Rangers and Deltas that were there. I'm biased though.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(Because I love movies) I don't like technical director commentaries, I find them pompous let-me-explain-my-genius-to-you-idiots type stuff,

[/ QUOTE ]
What would you say is an example of this? I'm not necessarily for technical directory commentaries, so much as I like to hear the story behind the movie. Not so much the director talking down to the viewer as explaining his perspective on things, as well as, if you get a writer in on the commentary, the way a story and character developed during their process.

[ QUOTE ]
I think easily then funniest I've ever heard is the 'in character' commentary on the 'This is Spinal Tap' DVD.

[/ QUOTE ]YES! It is easily as funny as the movie alone, if not funnier. Fantastic commentary.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:14 PM

i wish hitchcock movies had better commentaries
Old 08-24-2007, 01:21 PM

cannibal the musical is by far the best commentary i've heard. it's a very low-budget movie made by the south park guys before south park (but the commentary is made after), so they spend the whole time getting hammered and ripping on the movie
Old 08-24-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you not hate everyone involved in Suicide Kings just based on the crapiness of the movie? (except for Walked of course and to a much lesser extent Leary)

(Because I love movies) I don't like technical director commentaries, I find them pompous let-me-explain-my-genius-to-you-idiots type stuff, except for the 'how we made this movie on a shoe string budget variety' which are cool. But if you really want a 'film making' commentary I guess stick with the critic/historian analysis stuff you can find on criterion disc and a lot of classics. of the rare exceptions, I would include the 'Sopranos' commentaries which I enjoy, amongst others Steve Buscemi does great work on his episodes.

If you just want a good, funny entertaining commentary, a lot of the ones mentioned are good. I also like the Simpsons /AD commentaries and I think easily then funniest I've ever heard is the 'in character' commentary on the 'This is Spinal Tap' DVD.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kinda liked Suicide Kings, but yeah, mostly 'cause of Walken and Leary. The commentary is horrible because you realize that the director just doesn't understand that the movie he's making is trash at best. It's just really pretentious and arty and yeeeeeeeetch.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:27 PM

Boogie Nights commentary is HILARIOUS and informative. The Director basically gets drunk with all the cast members and talks constant [censored] on Luis Guzman.

Starship Troopers has a fun and informative commentary between the writer and the director.

Sam Mendes is by far the BEST commentary on American Beauty for an informative look while remaining interesting and not dry. He goes into great detail about the setup for the shots, and it was surprisingly easy/fun to listen to while very interesting for a wannabe director. The writer Alan ball is also there, but says basically one or two lines.

Patton has a History Channel like commentary by a Patton biographer that is chock-full of cool facts about the general.

And as mentioned before, Roger Ebert KILLS commentary tracks. His commentary on Dark City is very impressive. For all the contempt I have towards critics, I gotta say that Ebert knows his stuff and has a good sense of humor about it all.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How do you not hate everyone involved in Suicide Kings just based on the crapiness of the movie? (except for Walked of course and to a much lesser extent Leary)

(Because I love movies) I don't like technical director commentaries, I find them pompous let-me-explain-my-genius-to-you-idiots type stuff, except for the 'how we made this movie on a shoe string budget variety' which are cool. But if you really want a 'film making' commentary I guess stick with the critic/historian analysis stuff you can find on criterion disc and a lot of classics. of the rare exceptions, I would include the 'Sopranos' commentaries which I enjoy, amongst others Steve Buscemi does great work on his episodes.

If you just want a good, funny entertaining commentary, a lot of the ones mentioned are good. I also like the Simpsons /AD commentaries and I think easily then funniest I've ever heard is the 'in character' commentary on the 'This is Spinal Tap' DVD.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kinda liked Suicide Kings, but yeah, mostly 'cause of Walken and Leary. The commentary is horrible because you realize that the director just doesn't understand that the movie he's making is trash at best. It's just really pretentious and arty and yeeeeeeeetch.

[/ QUOTE ]

On that note, has anyone listened to the director commentary on Cobra? It is one of the worst movies ever - so bad its good - but Cosmatos talks about the care, the art, and craft involved in the movie. It's very funny, and very sad to see how he views the film.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:29 PM

Goodfellas is also greate. The real Henry Hill talks with the FBI agent that put him in the Witness Protection Program. It's remarkable how accurate that movie really was (if Henry is to be believed)
Old 08-24-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The best one IMO is the commentary track on Black Hawk Down by the actual Rangers and Deltas that were there. I'm biased though.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a solid choice.

The commentaries on the Matrix are pretty good (both the original DVD and the Ultimate collection ones)

Seven (basically any Fincher commentary is good, mostly because any Fincher is good)

The Commentary track on Die Hard and Die Hard 3 are pretty good, same with Hunt for Red October - McTiernan has a kinda boring voice, but his info is solid about moviemaking.

I remember the track from Training Day being solid.

As far as TV shows, the Shield wins, hands down.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love listening to Roger Ebert's commentaries, but he doesn't have very many.

Citizen Kane

[/ QUOTE ]

first one that came to mind. i learned so much about that movie watching it w/ his comments and really appreciate it much more now.