Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2006, 08:26 AM

Default Re: another tough spot in another small pot against a 2+2er

You bet the river, placing a full big bet in the pot despite facing 3 players. That takes some courage. Sure, you might be stealing, but if you are, you deserve to win the pot, because you are putting a lot of money at risk relative to the payoff. You know that there is a decent chance that somebody is going to look you up, and you bet anyways.

In light of that, it's difficult to believe that Gabe should be willing to risk 2 big bets to win 3 here very often. After all, how many people are going to tell you to call? Lots.

You have been playing tight. Gabe has been playing passively. Why would you now think that Gabe is going to suddenly come alive and put a big move on a tight player in a small pot? You made a thin value bet and got raised. Fold.

-Eric
Old 02-28-2006, 02:49 PM

Hi Mike.

Folding might be better than the 3 bet.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:16 PM

He knew you'd think he's out of the way and would glom it from the two remaining bad players on a scare card you both know no one has. So he makes a re-steal with possibly the best hand, A4, that whiffed a planned turn c/r to a brick. I call.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's the point of having an image if we don't use the image against a player intelligent enough to see it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he is also intelligent enough to know that Mike doesn't have any of the Broadway cards on the board if he 3-bets.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2006, 04:45 PM

"i should mention about gabe he's very smart and talks a great game but his actual play is significantly more passive and straight forward than all that"

I fold. In the red chip games I play in a check raise bluff on the river happens once a year. With the description given above of this guy, I don't see one here either.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If Gabe has a better 5 than you I will never ever ever play with him again - that would be too scary.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

That is about the only hand he can have other than a complete bluff unless he played it very strangely. I think this hand is fascinating though because Gabe knows that mike has no real hand, and mike knows that Gabe knows that.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:52 PM

I think both J and T are possibilities for Gabe here, especially T. Gabe's image comes into play also; even though he has probably gone for two checkraise attempts and whiffed (despite mike or another later position player being likely to fire a bet, especially on the turn), he now has no choice but to check the river, as that is the only chance he has of getting any money in the pot. Gabe's turn check with either of these hands can be justified by the small pot.

-Michael
Old 02-28-2006, 08:08 PM

Assuming Gabe would limp hands like 44,55 TJ and JJ from the sb these seem like possibilities.

He checks the flop wanting action, checks the turn wanting action. Why would he decide to bet the river? No one is calling with hands like q5, so he figures he can at least induce a bluff.

Personally I dont like your bet, I would rather check and call if you think A-high will bet.

With $210 in the pot your getting 7:1 on your 5. I think if he is good player these odds are prohibitive for a call.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think both J and T are possibilities for Gabe here, especially T. Gabe's image comes into play also; even though he has probably gone for two checkraise attempts and whiffed (despite mike or another later position player being likely to fire a bet, especially on the turn), he now has no choice but to check the river, as that is the only chance he has of getting any money in the pot. Gabe's turn check with either of these hands can be justified by the small pot.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I typed my reply at work with a ton of stuff going on. I thought about this on the way home and I think you are right. Gabe could actually have a real hand. Me thinks the big guy got owned here. The obvious problem is that it is tough to imagine gabe would be willing to let the turn check through when such a blank card hits. If he has a J or T he lets 3 guys draw to what has to be a bunch of combined outs.

BTW, where have you been? Get your ass to the club next time we drive up which may be around 12 hrs from now.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:07 AM

I fold to the river raise. Pot too small. And I would've bet the turn.