Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 11:48 AM

Default Re: As a parent, how amenable would you be to your kid pursuing poker.

[ QUOTE ]
If I have kids I will definitely teach them how to play poker (if they express an interest) and give them a starting roll once they have studied the game sufficiently. I mean, any reasonably smart person can beat 50NL if they put in the effort. Thirteen year olds get paid like $5 an hour. They have an incentive to learn, and the skills you learn in poker may be useful later in life (business and stocks).

[/ QUOTE ]

assuming that the time you spent learning poker doesn't take time away from developing social skills.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if online poker starts booming again I am going to be teaching my eight year old NL poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Part of me would be disappointed and not want him to play. That being said, I can't say that I haven't thought of this sentiment. The thing about kids, is that teaching them would be easy, they would likely come up with super quick counter strategies and general strategies faster than I could and would probably be virtually tiltless since they wouldn't really grasp what was going on. Oh yeah, and it's like a [censored] video game, so that whole hours thing, no big deal.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:51 PM

No way would they be tiltless, at least not automatically. Kids get riled up over video games all the time. There was a thread somewhere recently about a kid who stabbed his brother about who got to play next, for cryin' out loud. I could definitely see a kid going on insane monkey tilt after a few beats, PRECISELY because they don't really understand what's going on with the money.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:52 PM

If my kid told me that he was good enough to play poker for a living, I have enough knowledge to talk to him and see if it's true for myself.

To truly "turn the tables" and consider things from your parent's point of view, you'd have to imagine your kid getting into something that you completely don't understand. For example, say your kid told you he could make a living by playing rock/paper/scissors. Forget about how he wins, where the money comes from, or who pays him. That all falls under the category of stuff you don't understand. How would y'all feel about that?
Old 08-23-2007, 01:01 PM

In the beginning of February, as 2nd semester was starting, I was called down to the principal’s office. Because of my poor grades and constant absences I had to sign a contract agreeing to things like doing all my homework, attending all classes, arriving to school on time, etc. If I didn't sign or broke the contract, I would be kicked out of school. I told the principal that I was thinking of dropping out anyway and will talk to my dad and get back to him about the contract.

I came home and broke the news to my dad about this contract and my plans of dropping out. We had a long talk and agreed that I would drop out and give full time poker a shot. We agreed that if by September I wasn't making good money I would go back to school and get my last 8 credits with good grades so that I could apply for college or university.

My mom was completely shocked by my decision and wasn't happy. My dad told her that I should peruse my dreams and have my own life experience. I wasn't going to listen to anyone telling me that I would fail and should go to University and get a steady 30K+ cubicle job. That and the fact that I would go back to school if poker didn't work out calmed her down a bit.

It's now the end of August (and my 18th brirthday in 4 days [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) and I'm happy to say that I will not be going back to school in September. Poker has been really good to me. After being a tourney donk for most of my career as a "pro" I have transitioned to cash games in June and quickly moved up from 100NL to 400NL in 2 months. Poker has given me the freedom to be my own boss, something that I've always wanted to be. It has given me a lot of free time to enjoy my other hobbies and travel around the world. With the money that I've won from poker I've helped finance my dad's book and get my family out of debt. He was the one that bought me Harrington on Holdem for my birthday last year when I was too nitty to buy it for myself. He also convinced me to join PokerXFactor and invest in myself when I had small roll and $150 was a big deal to me. He was the only person that believed in me. None of this would be possible if my dad didn't have an open mind about poker and wouldn't let me deposit and play under his name for all this time.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:08 PM

Just wait 20 years where you look back and realize, wow, i've done nothing but stare at a computer monitor with my life.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No way would they be tiltless, at least not automatically. Kids get riled up over video games all the time. There was a thread somewhere recently about a kid who stabbed his brother about who got to play next, for cryin' out loud. I could definitely see a kid going on insane monkey tilt after a few beats, PRECISELY because they don't really understand what's going on with the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

what if it was just a "game" and you kept "score" with "fake" money?
Old 08-23-2007, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just wait 20 years where you look back and realize, wow, i've done nothing but stare at a computer monitor with my life.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, there are a whole lot of jobs where you could look back and reach the same realization.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, there are a whole lot of jobs where you could look back and reach the same realization.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely and people go in circles. I'm not favoring those jobs over poker...I'm just saying, regardless of job/poker I'm not the kind of person that can look back and be ok with this idea....so that was one main reason why I would never do online full time...
Old 08-23-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

true, but I think poker players are more inclined (not saying all do this, but definitely many) to literally shut themselves off from the world and play poker. That's not healthy at any age, but it is especially damaging at the tender years before 24 or so.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, I am very glad online poker wasn't around when I was in college.