Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 09:30 PM

Default Re: I Love My Job

I'm picturing myself in Mrs. Utah's job as the Anti-Mrs.U, cussing out the patients for being pregnant, taking up smoking just so I could be coughing and dropping ashes while delivering the babies, grabbing the toilet plunger to get the babies out. It would be a fun job!

At my job, my duties have varied tremendously since I'm in a new company just starting up. I work too many days and hours and it can make me spacey sometimes and feel claustrophobic, but as to the good parts, I'm left to do things at my discretion so long as I get things done, have to take almost no crap, and am easily in the most physically comfortable environment I've ever been in. The air isn't stale or hot, and I'm not -- at this stage in the position -- around arseholes very often at all. It's actually more pleasant here than it is at home. Also, it's a very nice and very unusual feeling to be in a firm where it seems almost everything is being done well all the time, often exceptionally well. Most businesses I've been in had glaring flaws easily observable by anyone with any intelligence on the first day. It's nice to see that there are places where people think things through and care about quality.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:26 AM

I'm a night shifter like Mrs. Utah. I work in a network operations center. There are only two of us here at night and my coworker is cool. We are left alone by the boss who is a true dick, so that's nice. I like networking/IT for the aspect that it's either right or it's wrong. If something went wrong, usually a human error caused it.

But I don't like being on an opposite schedule from my wife and kids. When I get home for the weekend, I end up staying awake for the day so I can re-sync with them. I'm aiming at getting back on days, and out of the NOC into a VoIP gig.

I thought 2p2 was tuq's job....
Old 08-23-2007, 03:51 AM

bike messenger. total freedom. stay in killer shape. see every part of town, everybody, every day. $$$ sucks but thats what pokers for.

Stress free baby!
Old 08-23-2007, 08:55 AM

As a young assistant golf professional I noticed many head professionals staying in a job that they did not love because it was just good enough not to leave for reasons such as providing for their family, fear of the unknown, etc. I have always tried to never get in that position.

IMHO, a productive worker needs to feel part of a team and have the ability to make a difference. If I have staff members that I feel are only trading their time for money I really don't expect them to stay around too long, they are also the ones that are at the bottom of the list for promotions or raises
Old 08-23-2007, 09:23 AM

The easiest one for me is that what I do (developing medical devices) saves lives, and the types of devices I work on are designed to be less invasive and more patient friendly.

The technology is pretty cool, too (lasers, imaging, software, etc.).

I work for a large firm now, and the politics of it can be a real drag. Deeper pockets means the workload is spread around better, though, so I can focus on three or four projects rather than dozens, like at smaller firms.

It's 20 minutes from my house to my office. Even though I work saturdays from time to time, it's not a big chore to get here. My previous job was 90 minutes away each way.

I have four very bright engineers working for me.

Lots of opportunity for advancement - my division has four open Director positions.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:55 AM

99 - do you find that every bike messenger is stoned all day? In my younger days, we'd go downtown and hit up the messengers when we needed weed.

Tuq Everlasting - are you a recruiter? I think I'm almost waiting for the shoe to drop, but I don't want it to come to that. I'd love to get my ass motivated and find something. But looking for a new job is harder work than my actual job.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:42 PM

Dude,

Yeah, when I'm not spamming these forums. I see it all the time - a friend/contact/former candidate will tell me "you should be getting a call from so-and-so, I referred him to you", and it rarely happens. What is really happening is disgruntled employee bitches to friend, friend tries to help by saying "I know a recruiter, here's his number", but the conversation was purely cathartic and once they got that off their chest they go back to their miserable job.

And as you mentioned, looking for a job is a hassle - it's work, and people are generally already busy living their life. This too contributes to their hesitancy to make a move.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a night shifter like Mrs. Utah.

But I don't like being on an opposite schedule from my wife and kids. When I get home for the weekend, I end up staying awake for the day so I can re-sync with them. I'm aiming at getting back on days, and out of the NOC into a VoIP gig.

[/ QUOTE ]

Working nights is easier when kids are school age. I sleep when they are in school and am generally awake when they get home and have the evening and bedtime hours with them.

My schedule is also variable, some weeks its 40 hours others its 20. Basically it averages to 3 or so shifts a week, so it would be a lot harder if it were 40+ hours a week.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm picturing myself in Mrs. Utah's job as the Anti-Mrs.U, cussing out the patients for being pregnant, taking up smoking just so I could be coughing and dropping ashes while delivering the babies, grabbing the toilet plunger to get the babies out. It would be a fun job!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have my "Anti-Mrs. Utah" moments. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Oh, and we stopped using the toilet plunger last month. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]