Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 01:20 PM

Default Re: ask me how I ended up 44, never married and with no kids

So where do you meet your dates? Do you find that women that you do meet are really only interested in settling down and getting married (assuming they are around your age)?
Old 08-22-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

EDIT2: my first point still stands I guess - he probably plays poker in the nude.

[/ QUOTE ]

only when I'm also responding to one of Katy's posts. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2007, 01:22 PM

any regrets?
Old 08-22-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So where do you meet your dates? Do you find that women that you do meet are really only interested in settling down and getting married (assuming they are around your age)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to go through cycles of socialization/hermitization.

Right now, I'm being a bit of a hermit...playing poker, gearing up for my novel, paying the bills. I don't like to date unless I'm flush, you know? And right now things are tight.

I've never dated a woman close to my own age until recently...usually I'm dating women 10-12 years younger than I am. My ex-fiance is 34. I look and act younger than I am, so really, that's all that's about, I think. It's really not a conscious decision.

I am getting antsy to get out there again and meet some women, though...

and I meet women the way everyone else does: through friends, going out to interesting places, even the internet.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
any regrets?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had a few... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

no, not really...only that I should've started saving money from my very first paycheck, I guess.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:26 PM

How's your neighbor's daughter?
Old 08-22-2007, 01:28 PM

Dom,

It's obviously totally standard to meet women a fair amount younger than you. I'm guessing your "target age" assuming you have normal tastes would be in the 28-34 range.

This thread serves to remind me how much it would suck to be an older single woman. Most guys prefer women younger than them, but then again the whole Mrs. Robinson thing comes into play and they can totally rock some noob 24 year old's world.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:28 PM

At age 44, I would guess your most likely chance for kids is going to be as a stepfather. To be able to go to your child's high school graduation at age 65, you will need to impregnate someone in the next couple of years.

After being a bachelor for so long, do you think you are so set in your ways that you are likely to enjoy marriage?
Old 08-22-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How's your neighbor's daughter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha! Actually, I just saw her this past weekend. Her parents were having a yard sale and she came by to help. I saw her and gave a little wave when I drove up into my driveway.

I could use me some of that right about now...

ah, well.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At age 44, I would guess your most likely chance for kids is going to be as a stepfather. To be able to go to your child's high school graduation at age 65, you will need to impregnate someone in the next couple of years.

After being a bachelor for so long, do you think you are so set in your ways that you are likely to enjoy marriage?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question. About 7 years ago I would've said it'd be tough and I was set in my ways. But for some reason, in the last few years I've really mellowed and am looking forward to sharing my life with someone. Sure, I have little quirks, but my last relationship (last year for about 6 months - not the woman my age, another one, before her) taught me to relax and go with the flow more. Love someone for who they are and not who you want them to be, flaws and all. Acceptance.

And you're probably right about the kids...I wouldn't mind that...or adoption. Kids are kids and they need love no matter if they come from your genes or not.