Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Ask me about India

I'll add that I liked absolutely every part of India besides Chennai (and maybe Jaisalmer as well). I don't see the attraction.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a drinking buddy here who's lived in India for the past 15 years. One thing he told me is that while the old caste system is very much alive, some of the richest people in India are untouchables. I found this to be really bizarre. I realize that discrimination is officially illegal, but what can you tell me about the way it works now?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I remember learning that members of the the untouchable class outnumber all the other classes combined. If that is correct, then it would stand to reason that with such a large membership, a few of them are bound to amass great fortunes.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:45 AM

Is having lighter skin considered more attractive like in SE Asian and African-American cultures?
Old 08-24-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of India foods are there? The only one I know of is curry.

[/ QUOTE ]

there's so many of them. many are curry based, with tons of different variations. everything is eaten with rice or thin flatbreads called naan.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is having lighter skin considered more attractive like in SE Asian and African-American cultures?

[/ QUOTE ]

yep. it's supposed to mean you're of a higher class (staying out of the sun because you're not a menial worker, etc.)
Old 08-24-2007, 04:26 PM

I plan on going to india/nepal in the next few months but Cancuk has me worried about the weather. What can I expect? And how much worse/better will this make my travelling compared to other times? (I know this will change for different regions of the country, so just answer for the parts you are familiar with)
Old 08-24-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I plan on going to india/nepal in the next few months but Cancuk has me worried about the weather. What can I expect? And how much worse/better will this make my travelling compared to other times? (I know this will change for different regions of the country, so just answer for the parts you are familiar with)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey man,

I didn't mean to get you worried. All as I was saying that India has pretty much every possible kind of weather. In the north (and Nepal) winters are very cold and snowy, while in the south you really don't want to be there during the Monsoon or any time during the summer.

Early/mid autumn seemed like the best time for travel if you're talking about the country in general (including Nepal).
Old 08-24-2007, 07:32 PM

Hey Nation,

I have always wanted to travel to Goa India, how much would it cost to live a reasonably nice lifestyle there. Rent Food etc, is it safe for Americans? Are there enough attractive women there?
Old 08-25-2007, 09:16 PM

how common are arranged marriages nowadays? how does it differ according to region/ socioeconomic status of the person? do they get disowned by their family if they refuse to accept the marriage?
Old 08-26-2007, 02:19 AM

I did the whole north of india, man the accomodation is so good, all 6 star hotels (yes 6).

Where abouts are you from?
Do you find it full on when you go back? or is the begging towards you not as bad because you're indian yourself?

My first day there nobody told me not to talk to the beggers, so i had the 7 year old girl following me, like full on by my side for an hour...lets just say, by the end of the trip whenever a begger approached me i would tell them to [censored] off