Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 09:23 AM

Default Re: Poker in Florida

Many, many poker players are currently tapped out in Florida playing the 25+% raked tourneys.........they are finally realizing this is a no win situation. Actually, many are not realizing it, they are just broke.

Many venues are losing customers because of this......DERBY LANE has seen a considerable dropoff in tourney play over the past 3 weeks.

Meanwhile, over at Tampa Greyhound business is slowly picking up because of what they offer........rake free tourneys, ACES cracked promos, and $25,000 freerolls.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:35 AM

Seems like like things are just getting started here in Broward. More players in 1/2 2/5 and the tourneys are picking up steam. Have some good 300+ 15% rake tourneys here. It seems almost certian from what I hear Seminole will be getting high stakes poker back soon, and craps and all that are likely also. Good changes are coming soon bet on it.

[ QUOTE ]
Many, many poker players are currently tapped out in Florida playing the 25+% raked tourneys.........they are finally realizing this is a no win situation. Actually, many are not realizing it, they are just broke.

Many venues are losing customers because of this......DERBY LANE has seen a considerable dropoff in tourney play over the past 3 weeks.

Meanwhile, over at Tampa Greyhound business is slowly picking up because of what they offer........rake free tourneys, ACES cracked promos, and $25,000 freerolls.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-22-2007, 09:41 AM

Poker may save real estate in Florida.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:24 PM

As to the OP it is very possible to be a florida pro.
Your expectations obviously depend on your skill.
I personally know 20+ fulltimers who make anywhere from min wage, to $500K+ (though many play in private games)

(but if the games do go back to the higher by ins, I would think that if you could spell poker you could make a living at it, even if the play is only 1/3rd as poor as it was those wonderfull 4 days we had it)

as for the small by ins, you just need to learn how the mix of small stacks and big stacks make for a totally different game than any poker youve ever played. (and btw tons of people at the hollywood HR sneek chips on the table when the dealers change, and its not rare to have half the table having $500+)
Old 08-22-2007, 01:27 PM

Ummm. The games are very weak but the varience is high because the players are so weak. I lost $100 3 times in about 2.5 hours the last time I went with a set every time. Twice it was top set. 2 times someone went runner runner for the straight and another the person hit a gutshot. And all three times the money went in on the flop. That varience could kill some people. I know it did to me I am now playing .01/.02 online and building a roll from $50 (Im up to $108 after about a week hooray me.)
Old 08-22-2007, 01:41 PM

losing 3 buy-ins to bad-beats isn't supposed to be the kind of variance that could 'kill some people'.

It's pretty standard variance.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just play tight and get payed when you get a hand. and play aggressive with pocket pair or top pair. dont let too many limpers get in and bust you. I cant wait for bigger buy in tho. Sept. 11th deadline now.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is going on sept. 11?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...umber=11562856
Old 08-22-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
losing 3 buy-ins to bad-beats isn't supposed to be the kind of variance that could 'kill some people'.

It's pretty standard variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have gone down as much as 17 buy-ins ($1700) in my first 7 weeks of play and expect that to be about the absolute worst I will ever run(hopefully)..........if your going down by more than 2500 playing 1-2 NL in one stretch, suggest you not play the game, improve, or try lower limets or something completely different.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:36 PM

I just got back from Florida and played 1/2 NL at the Hard Rock in Tampa. I have never seen such loose play in my life. I played as tight as humanly possible and these players just couldn't get it that when I was playing, I had something.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just got back from Florida and played 1/2 NL at the Hard Rock in Tampa. I have never seen such loose play in my life. I played as tight as humanly possible and these players just couldn't get it that when I was playing, I had something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ain't it great? I have run into good players, though, and have bluffed some pots away from them. The loose players will pay you off, and the "good" players will respect your tight image and fold the better hand. All you have to do is pass on the smaller edges and not get sucked out on.